Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO: HEADING NORTH

Three days later at six AM in the morning, Kyla found herself standing alone in the bus station, where everyone else left, heading their separate ways while she didn’t know where to head-off to next. She was not sure where she was but not so long ago she saw a bus going back to Tagaytay. She shook her head. She just got here and it was too soon to admit defeat. And so, she hauled her belongings closer to her since the clouds were getting darker and not too far from where she was standing, she heard the rumble of thunder getting closer.

Kyla sighed. Lost, broke and now it might even rain. It must be her lucky day.

It took a while to figure out where she was supposed to go but she made it. After hailing a cab and giving the cab driver the address of the Bistro, somewhere in Quezon City, within an hour and a half, she was standing in front of a bustling coffee house and pastry shop called Galiana’s. Not bustling with customers though, just men working on renovating the building. Kyla looked at the piece of paper on her hand where the address was written and looked around for the number of the building—and found it: 229. Yep, she was in the right place all right. But why was it still under construction? Frank mentioned on the phone that she will be working with him in their family bistro but failed to mention that it was still under renovation. It was one thing to start-off where another pastry chef left off, but an entirely different thing to start from scratch. Her heart skipped a beat and felt butterflies on her stomach. What on earth has she gotten herself into now?

But before she could formulate an escape plan inside her head, an old man, probably in his early sixty’s walked up to her when he spotted her standing in front of the shop.

“Hi there,” He greeted with a gentle smile. “Can I help you with anything?”

Kyla nodded and fished out the small piece of paper where she wrote her new employer’s address. “Um, is this the right place?” she asked, then read the address on the piece of paper aloud.

“You’re in the right place, young lady. Now, how may I help you?” he inquired. He looked past her and at her belongings.

“I’m looking for a Mr. Frank Jacob? I’m supposed to meet with him today.” She informed him.

He looked back at her. “I’m Mr. Frank Jacob, but we don’t need to be too formal. Why am I supposed to see you today?” he asked as he crossed his arms in front of his chest and looked at her questioningly.

“Sorry—I forgot to introduce myself. I’m Kyla Mendez, the pastry chef you hired a couple of weeks ago from Strathmore? I’m Amelia Mendez’s granddaughter.” She replied as she reached her hand to shake his.

He shook her hand and motioned to her belongings. “I forgot about today but I’m glad you showed up. “ He bent down then took her luggage and carried it with him as he started walking to the side of the three story building located at the corner street.

“Is this the coffee house we were talking about on the phone?” She asked as she followed him. The grasses on the path were overgrown and the landscaping of the garden was yet to be finished, she noticed.

“Yes, this coffee house was built in the 80’s then it was closed down when my wife was diagnosed with heart problems. It was renovated two years ago, and now they’re just finishing up with the interior design and all that, which would take another month or so.”   Frank explained. At the back of the coffee house, there’s an old two-story house built for the employees. Since the establishment was shut down, the house was also neglected but was renovated a year ago once the re-opening deal was finalized.