Formatting a screen play

SCREENPLAY FORMAT

INTRODUCTION

 Unlike a play or a novel, there are strict guidelines when formatting a script This is a timing issue. One page of a correctly formatted script is equal to one minute of screen time.If you don't comply, your script will be rejected, unread.

It’s also designed so it’s clear and legible for producers and if you’re lucky, directors and actors who might be reading your script. It needs to be clear to read if it gets to the stage where it’s being filmed. If you were to send a screenplay to a production company or an agent and it wasn’t formatted properly, guess where it’s going? That’s right. The bin. So what are the elements of a script that are needed for formatting.

1. FONT

The only acceptable font is Courier New and the size is 12 point. Before you write a word make sure you have this correct.

 2. SCENE HEADING (OR SLUGLINE)

 The reader of your screenplay needs to know where the particular scene takes place and the time of day. Each introduction of a scene appears on a single line (called the scene heading) which contains the location information and time of day. Almost all scene headings begin with INT. (interior) or EXT. (exterior).

For example:  INT. BAR - NIGHT

           EXT. PARK – DAY

So it’s INT or EXT followed by a full stop SPACE then the location, then a horizontal dash, then time of day.

With regards to time, day or night is fine. However if it’s important for the scene to be more specific you can use morning, evening, afternoon etc.

The exceptions are if you have already introduced the BAR as a location you can simply use "BACK TO BAR" as a subsequent scene heading. Or if you have introduced a HOUSE as a location and are writing a sequence in which a character moves through each room, you can use just BEDROOM or LOUNGE as the scene heading in order to maintain the flow of the sequence.

INTERCUT BETWEEN can be used as a scene heading for a phone conversation after the location of each party is established with prior scene headings.

However, if in doubt and when starting off writing scripts, it’s probably best to keep it simple with scene headings as such : INT. CLASSROOM – NIGHT or EXT. STREET – DAY

2. THE ACTION ELEMENT

This appears immediately after your scene heading and is preceded by one blank line and runs from left to right margin, spanning the full width of the text on the page. The Action sets the scene, describes the setting, and allows you to introduce your characters and set the stage for your story. Action is written in present tense, eg John is busy typing on his computer.

Write what the audience sees on the screen cleanly and crisply. Remember you’re not writing a novel so you don’t have to go into too much detail with description. Describe what you feel is important for the audience to see. Eg.

INT. BUS – NIGHT

ALAN (53) lies asleep at the back of a double decker bus. His clothes are well worn and his face is all beard. The other passengers on the top deck are sitting well away from him.   

If introducing a character for the first time include their exact or rough age, at least for your important characters. Also make sure you put their name in capitals for the first time that you introduce them.

Eg

EXT. PARK – DAY

JANE (28) is jogging in her local park. She runs by DAVID (mid 30’s) whom she doesn’t recognise. David turns around and tries to catch up with her to get her attention but Jane is too focused on her daily exercise routine to notice.

While you can write a longer action paragraph, think about keeping it under five lines at a time. Break up the paragraph at the start of a new beat to make for an easier read.

Capitalize all major sound effects that are important to the story.

Only describe clothing or hairstyles if it’s important to the story or character.

Do not write what the camera is going to do unless it’s absolutely essential. That’s for the director to decide.

Do not write what a character is feeling. This is not a visual description

Eg.

John enters the house furious.

How does the audience know he’s furious? Instead write something like:

John enters the house and violently throws his bag on the ground. Without telling anyone he’s home he retires to his bedroom and slams the door. 

With this script action, the audience are going to realise he’s angry. Remember this is also for the actor reading your script. He or she needs to know what specific actions to do so it’s not enough to just say they are angry or sad.

The main points to remember when writing script actions is to write so it reads well without over complicating it and be clear and visual. 

3. CHARACTER NAME

This appears in caps, tabbed toward the centre of the page and is followed by dialogue. A character name can be an actual name (JACK) or description (FAT MAN) or an occupation (DOCTOR). Sometimes, you might have COP #1 and then COP #2 speaking. It is okay to identify the speaking parts like this, but actors will like you more if you personalize their part with a name. Try to be consistent. Don't call a character JOE here and MR. JONES there.

EG:

INT. CLASSROOM – NIGHT

CTYOLENE is teaching a class of about a dozen adult students.

                        CTYOLENE

4. DIALOGUE

This appears tabbed between the left margin (where scene heading and action are) and the character name margin.

EG:

INT. CLASSROOM – NIGHT

CTYOLENE is teaching a class of about a dozen adult students.

                        CTYOLENE

Welcome to the first class of this scriptwriting course.

If I’m writing in word I tab the character names FIVE times across and the dialogue THREE times across.

5. PARENTHETICAL

Parentheticals (or "wrylies") appear left indented (not centred) within brackets beneath the character name and are used to express an attitude for the actor who is speaking.. i.e. upset, crying, laughing, irritated, angry etc. Parentheticals should be short, to the point, descriptive, and only used when absolutely necessary.

EG

INT. CLASSROOM – NIGHT

CTYOLENE is teaching a class of about a dozen adult students.

                        CTYOLENE

                     (nervously)

Welcome to the first class of this scriptwriting course.

There are screenplay formatting programmes you can get such as Final Draft which costs money or Celtx which is free. Or you can just use Word and get used to tabbing!