Chapter 1

I wanted to let anyone who reads this know that I write short chapters, but I try to update frequently to make up for it. I also use a lot of timeskips, mostly because I don't know how a lot of things in Japan work, or I don't know how else to add certain details to the story. 

I also hate reading Author Notes when sometimes I just want to KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.. hehe.. I think i'm not the only one... so i'm going to try to not do many. Unless something big happens that means I won't be updating for quite a while, or something similar to that, I will never, EVER, reduce an entire chapter to being a stupid author's note. 

~Hope you enjoy~

-_-_-_-_-_-

Hinata Shouyou walked through the front doors of Karasuno highschool, his face blank and posture slouched. After climbing up some stairs and turning some corners, walking through crowded hallways and maneuvering through students, he finally reached his locker. Opening up his locker, he placed the items from his bag onto a small shelf near the top, stacked his folders neatly at the bottom, hung up his bag on a small hook, and stuck a photo with a familiar dark haired man in the back of his locker. Then, he picked out his math materials and walked to class, shutting his locker behind him.

When he reached his class, he sat down near the back, and immediately got out a book to start reading. Unbeknownst to him, an energetic second year was prancing around the class, looking for people to join a club. 

"Hey!" Hinata looked up from his book. "Do you wanna join the Karasuno Volleyball Club? I'm Tanaka, by the way!" Tanaka noticed that Hinata's face seemed to look pained for a second, before he looked so blank that Tanaka wondered if he had seen any emotions at all. 

"No." Hinata looked back down at his book. Frowning, Tanaka turned away to ask another first year about joining the club.

When the starting bell finally rang and the ever-loud Tanaka finally left, Hinata put down his book, took out his notes, and waited for the class to start. When their teacher walked in, she introduced herself as Miss. Hanabira, then started talking about what they were going to be doing that year.

~~~~~~~~~~Timeskip to end of class~~~~~~~~~~

Hinata walked out of the class and fished out his schedual, as he wove through the other students, he took note of what classes he had.

First: Math

Second: Language Arts

Third: Lunch

Fourth: Social Studies

Fifth: Free hour

He realized that his last hour was free, which gave him the rest of the day after social studies to do as he pleased. With that relatively happy thought in mind, he went to his locker, got the necessary items, and proceeded to his next class.

~~~~~~~~~~Timeskip to lunch~~~~~~~~~~

Hinata looked around the lunchroom, trying to find an empty table to sit at. Once he had found an empty table in the corner of the school's cafe area, he put down his full tray of decidedly 'not-so-safe' school food and sat down. He was a little nervous to try any of the food, which appeared to have twitched a bit, *shudder* but forced himself to at least eat a little bit. As he suffered through what he imagined to be the beginning of minor food poisoning, he examined his fellow first years. He also noticed that 'Tanaka' from earlier... the thought made him grimace and he stopped chewing for a second. Hinata never wanted to play volleyball again... not competitively at least, it reminded him too much of his dad... that didn't mean he didn't play at all though. He was planning to practice some in Karasuno's (admittedly amazing) gym during his free period. 

The bell rang and Hinata looked down, he had subconiously been eating while he was thinking, and now his school-sludge was mostly gone. Sighing, he got up, cleared his tray, and walked back to his locker. He still had one more period till he could practice his spike. 

~~~~~~~~~~Timeskip to end of Social Studies~~~~~~~~~~

As he walked out of the classroom, Mr. Kaisui tidying up behind him, Hinata thought about what he was going to do in the gym. Images of drills and plays his father had taught him years ago in his head. He reached his locker for the last time that day, picking up everything he would need to bring home and putting it in his bag, he shouldered it and walked towards the gym, which was thankfully unlocked. 

Hinata opened the door and saw a bin full of balls ready. He knew he had an hour before people started coming in here for valleyball club, so he had to practice and get out before that time. He couldn't let anyone see him play. 

Picking up one of the balls, the first year threw it against the wall, making sure to angle it so that it came back right where he wanted it. Another perk of having a volleyball prodigee as a dad- he inherited a natural sense of direction and logic. Espeacially when it came to how to hit a ball, be it recieves, spikes... heck, even serves, Hinata was easily the best out of all the players from his first and last match... except maybe that setter... that setter was unnaturally good at aiming. (and that was coming from him, who others could say the same thing about.)

The ball came back right above his head, and he jumped up before spiking it against the wall, making sure to angle so he had at least 2 seconds before it hit the ground. Running towards it, he executed a relatively sloppy but effective recieve, hitting the ball against the wall once again. This continued for at least 5 mintes before it eventually fell to the floor, inches from Hinata's outstretched hand. he sighed, before going near the net to practice serves. 

~~~~~~~~~~58 minutes later~~~~~~~~~~

Hinata started to hear noises from outside, so he quickly put away all the balls, grabbed his bag, and ran out the door. less that 10 seconds later, after Hinata had turned the corner of the building, out of view, Tanaka showed up, next to a light gray haired teen. 

"You know Suga-san, there were quite a few intresting first years I met today. one of them was even reading a book! A book Suga-san! Who does that?! Don't they get a headache from all those confusing Kanji?!?!" He yelled with indignation. Hinata faintly remembered reading earlier and wondered what this guy had against reading about all those exciting adventures. 

"It was dissapointing though." he started again.

"Hm, how is that?" 'Suga-san' asked.

"That one kid that was reading, he was short, but he looked pretty strong. He probably could have made a great back up libero or something..." Hinata flushed with indignation, he silently fumed. Just because someone is short doesn't mean they can only play libero! Biased tall jerk... He almost wanted to go up and smack him.. but that would trigger too many questions like "who are you?" and "Why did you slap me?" and "What are you doing here?". No, questions were not good. So Hinata stayed, and through some little windows he could see the inside of the gym. He watched the rest of the relatively small team trickle in, and observed them for the rest of the pracrice and well into the night. He noticed a lot of things about the team, but one that stood out to him was the setter from his match in middle school. He then realized he would probably meet him in school, and steeled himelf for that moment.

After practice was finished, Hinata waited a few minutes before getting on his bike and pettling home. When he finally layed down in bed after nearly an hour's ride, he immediately fell asleep.