Holidays By The Seaside: Chapter One

It was July and Irene was listening to music in the back of her mom's car. In a few minutes they would finally arrive at her grandparents' cottage at the beach to spend their summer holidays.

She was excited because she needed to relax after an exhausting year. Except for school, her parents got divorced that year so all she needed was to have some fun. She was sure she would because her best friends were waiting for her to arrive. She had missed them very much.

When the car stopped at the parking lot, she got out of the car and breathed heavily as she felt dizzy from the very long journey. She looked at the little neighbourhood, nothing had changed from the last time she'd been there. Fifteen little houses were hosting their owners for the summer while they were spending their holidays.

When she entered into the cottage her grandmom gave her a bone-crushing hug and started whooping as if she had survived from a war "Oh my god Irene you are alive! I was praying all day not to get killed on the road you know how many drunk drivers there are these days? and why did it take you so long to come? I was worried about you!" After that long speech Irene finally managed to release herself.

"For me it is more likely to die from suffocation than car crash granny" she said coughing "And by the way there are no drunk drivers ten o'clock in the morning" she smiled and gave her grandmom a kiss. Then she kissed her grandad too. "How are you?"

"I'm trying to survive from my crazy wife" Irene laughed.

                                                           ♥            ♥            ♥

About an hour later, Irene stood from the couch "I am going to find my friends"

"Xanthippi hasn't arrived yet so go straight to Mark's" her grandmom said. "Ok" she replied and left.

The moment she closed the front door she felt someone covering her eyes with his hands."You either are Mark or a criminal trying to kidnap me" she said jokingly.

"You're lucky it's only me" Mark said taking his hands off her. She smiled and turned toward him. He had changed a lot from the last time she saw him a year ago. They had the same height, but now he was at least four inches taller. Also, he had lost at least ten pounds apparently he had started working out. The only thing remaining the same was his fiery red hair and deep green eyes.

"Are you sure you're not a kidnapper? You don't look like Mark"he rolled his eyes from the cold joke and hugged her. She hugged him back. "How did you know I was here?" she asked him. "My house faces your granddad's so when I saw your mom's car I went to see you".

"Ah...Αny way what about going to your place?" she suggested.

"I would rather go to the beach"

"Even better!"she said cheerfully and they left.

After two minutes they were sitting on a bench enjoying the calm sea."I have great news to tell you!"he said full of enthusiasm."Remeber last year I told you that me and my family would probably move?"

"Yes..."

"We did!" He had a huge smile on his face "And guess where!"

"How would I know the earth is huge, besides you may have moved to another pla-"

"Tampa!" he interrupted her.

"Wait you mean Tampa in Florida?" she asked in disbelief. He nodded. "But that's impossible because I live there"

"Yeah because only you and nobody else lives there" he said sarcastically.

She fell silent. There was a lot of new informaton which confused her brain. "You mean that we're going to live in the same city?" Her chestnut brown eyes widened.

"Yes. Plus, my house is five minutes drive from yours".

She couldn't believe it. She started jumping up and down and squealing. It wasn't the first time she was doing that, actually she was doing that evey time she was excited (almost every day), so Mark was used to it.

"A week ago I watched a documentary about seals and the injured ones were making the exact same sound" he closed his ears. She stuck out her tongue and smacked him on the head.