Chapter 26 - Underground

---

Chapter 26 - Underground

---

The rain drenched just about everything long before they reached their destination.

It masked the sound of Shift’s feet hitting the roof, which Athira was grateful for. No matter how carefully she placed him, he always sounded five times his weight and this time was no different.

She dropped his wrist and landed in a crouch beside him, keeping low to the rooftop so her form would be concealed by the higher roof arch behind her. The wet cement pressed against her knee, soaking through the thin material of the leggings as she settled down. It would have annoyed her, if not for the fact that her colour was already evaporating it from the fabric.

“What now?” asked Shift.

Athira’s eyes scanned the skywalk below. She shifted her position, unsure what to do with another person at her side. This was usually the part where she sat alone except for Talon, for hours at a time if it became necessary. Having someone else to talk to changed the entire experience.

Without taking her gaze from the location, she decided on two simple words.

“We wait.”

That seemed to be enough for Shift, who accepted it with a small shrug and turned back to the skywalk.

From her vantage point atop one of the middle-sized scrapers, Athira figured she’d be able to see anything that mattered. The skywalk she knew her contact would cross was in plain sight, as were the insides of the buildings it linked, thanks to the glass panelling the place had installed recently. Something about making it seem more ‘legit’ when inspection time came around, although she knew it was anything but.

Beside her, Shift tried to lean back against the out-of-use clock tower that sprouted up out of the scraper’s roof. Under the movement, a section of roof came loose and plunged to the ground below.

Athira snatched at his wrist, but her green colour didn’t need it. He righted himself easily, displaying an agility she often forgot he possessed.

“Being in the heart of the city, you forget how neglected some of these buildings get out near the outskirts,” he said with a nervous laugh. “I don’t think they even use cement in buildings now.”

“Just be careful,” muttered Athira, dropping her hold on him. “These aren’t quite Starpoint tower status yet, but they’re getting there. Above ground, at least.”

“Above ground? What about under it?”

“That’s what you’re going to find out tonight.”

By now, the section of roof covered by Athira’s cloak was dry as she imagined the inside to be. Like her amulet, the fabric was warm with her colour. Drops of rain sizzled into oblivion upon touching it.

The same couldn’t be said for Shift. As a larger rivulet of raindrops fell off his face, she took pity on him and erected a small shell of colour above his head to keep him dry. With a second quick flick of her wrist, a wave of colour combed through his dark blonde hair and took the remaining water with it.

Shift shook his head in surprise before he realised what she’d done. Apparently it was worthy of a smile.

“Thanks, Thira.”

Athira was about to reply when she caught herself. She gave him a quick nod and went back to scanning the skywalk beneath her before Shift could find the smile pressing against her own lips.

First new clothes, now you’re keeping him out of the rain... Gosh, Athira. I never knew you cared so much about him.

Shut up, Talon. No one asked you.