Prologue

۞ Prologue ۞

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I felt weak, fragile and frail. The energy to move my body or even my eyelids slipped out of me when I was still unconscious. I can only overhear sounds and intensify my attentiveness for anything that is around me.

Beads of sweats crawled continuously down to my face as the agonizing heat engulfed my room. A prickling feeling slithered at my bare feet as if they were actually burning very slowly. A thick cloud of smoke infiltrated my nose and I started to choke by the second I inhaled it. With rational thinking, I had come to a conclusion that my room is being invaded by fire wherein I do not know why I had it here in the first place.

Crackling sounds from my searing possessions on the other side of my room were becoming louder, but a faint tete-a-tete from the living room caught my attention. I began to eavesdrop to my mother's conversation with a lady instead of paying attention to my present state.

"Why are you here? What do you want?" My mother said indignantly. These two words were the first comprehensible set of words I heard since they started talking.

The stranger made a brief chuckle and said in a low, mellifluous voice, "Oh Oneida, is this how you treat your guests? And puh-lease, you and your husband already know why I am paying you, guys, a visit." She snickered. "But in case you have a low IQ, I can give you a hint that you will certainly fathom."

A dense murderous aura radiated from her entire body. Something inside of me wanted to get away from her as far as possible if only I can move my body. "I am here to eradicate you and your family's existence from the surface of our messed-up world, or so-called Sheol." She stated with a slight tone of candour and unhidden pleasure in her voice.

Fear crept into my mind whenever I think of what will happen to us. The fire radiated a fiercer heat than it had radiated earlier.

My train of thought came to a halt when my mother responded to her question. "It is about the position, isn't it?" Position for what?

"Oh yeah, good old bad times. It will not last long, even though I want to lengthen your suffering." The stranger huffed.

Meanwhile, the oxygen in my room began to drop and to combine with the fire. Hence, I started to breathe heavily to satisfy my hunger for air.

"So, why would tuck my children into this? They are innocent! I though you wouldn't hurt or maltreat gullible lives. What happened to you?" Rage filled my mother's voice as soon as she stated that. My brother and I never got her to the extreme whenever we got into trouble.

In speaking of my brother, where is he? He should also be here in our room. I cannot feel his presence nearby. A thick strange aura in the atmosphere gave of a sign that he was taken by someone or something more powerful than me.

"Things change after I left for my personal businesses. I became stronger and wiser than you'll ever get, if I do say so myself." The stranger remarked and quickly clasped her hands two times. "That's enough chitchat for now. Let's get down to business."

"You did not answer my question." Uh oh, my mom appeared to be very pissed and angry.

"Ahh, that... If I don't kill them now that I have a chance, they will try to annihilate me instead in the near future. When your two precious children found out what have I done to you and your husband, they'll surely avenge the death of the two of you." A tone of mockery was present in her voice as she remarked this.

"I have answered all of your questions. No more further interruptions, okay? I want to do this quick for I have more preparations to finish for my own upcoming kingdom in Phlegeton."

"If you are such in a hurry, why don't you take a shortcut? This shortcut comprises a fair deal that the two of us must accept the terms of agreement." My mom pleaded but her voice remained strong.

"Hmm?" The stranger seemed unsure about it.

"Spare my children, Jemrah."

"What advantage will I get in return?"

There was an awkward silence in the air. The fire was rapidly spreading and swiftly devouring the remaining oxygen in the atmosphere. I panted involuntarily for the loss of the needed element for my body.

"I'll let you kill me hastily in any way you like. I won't eight back, just let my children go." My mom said in a very pathetic and melancholic voice. I was flabbergasted of what she offered to the stranger named Jemrah. I had never expected that my mom will sacrifice her life for us. I hope that it was not her plan to save our family.

"Hmm... I cannot let that happen even if I am in a hurry. Two, in a price of one? That deal isn't fair for me. You'll have to choose one. So, who will it be - your son or your daughter?" Jemrah mocked with all her might.

"You bastard..." My mom cursed silently and venomously. Her words became incomprehensible as she muttered the last part.

"Yeah, curse everything you want. Hurry up, can you? I'll have to invade Phlegeton after I'm done with you." Phlegeton? Why does she want to overrun a frozen wasteland full of giants, phantom troupes, assassins, and vampires? Isn't it impossible for a lady in her twenties to compete the strength of such unearthly creatures?

"My wife will choose Medea and I will choose Ikeda. Are you now approving our proposal?" My dad said with gritted teeth and pure annoyance.

'Are they really into this? They cannot be serious but their voices said it all. Do they want their children to suffer from lack of possessing parents?' I thought with deep curiosity.

My panting was becoming useless and the dull light that came from the radiant fire and appeared to slip through my eyelids were beginning to fade. I forced myself to stay conscious and to stay tuned up on their convers, but I wil soonly be hauled into a state of unconsciousness again.

"Yep, that's more like it! Typical kind-hearted parents who have great affection towards their dear offspring are willing to sacrifice their worthless and damned lives just to rate their abominable children." Jemrah derided at our atrocious setting. The clanking of her shoes ricocheted within the interior of our house.

The short intimidating stillness in the air brought to a standstill as the enigmatic visitor instigated to mutter several Latin words out of the blue as if she was intoning a series of incantations that are out of the ordinary to an individual.

I endeavoured to wriggle my pathetic, puny fingers; but to my dismay, my efforts to move were rubbish and a complete waste of time. Panic surged toward me seeing that my mind was swirled into nothingness as I had been overpowered by unconsciousness. The muffled voices of my parents fell into a pair of deafened ears of mine as my mind shutted down into oblivion.

Despite of what had happened, I will obtain my retaliation on Jemrah for harming my family on my behalf. I ought to accomplish my retribution to pick tram indication to where my brother is currently dwelling. From this day forward, things will be more complicated and will never be the same.