The Perfect Servant :Chapter 1

The Perfect Servant

Chapter 1: The Perfect Stranger

                I watch as my stepmother and stepsister step out of the carriage. They pulled the tails of their dress along the pavement making their way to the door. They gave off a sense of pride with their head and chin held high in the air. They walked past the maids not even sharing a glance with them. The maids nodded their heads as an acknowledgment. Like they were no better than us, I thought.

                It bothered me to watch my stepsister Lena Degrassi wear all the dresses my mother left for me. I hate when she’s done wearing them she sends them to the tunnel where they burn old, useless artifacts. She doesn’t care about how it affects me.

                After my father died my whole world turned upside down. My old bedroom was given to Lena while I was sent to the attic. Everything I own was given to Lena except this bracelet my mother gave to me on her death bed. They thought it to be old fashioned and ugly.

                I thought it was a beautiful bracelet. It was silver with an ornament hanging from it and a locket on it with a picture of my mother and father in it. I held this small piece of jewelry close to my heart after their deaths.

                Even though I wasn’t treated like a princess by my stepmother and stepsister, the servants took me under their wing and treated me like gold. That did please me for a while but I missed my old life where I would go out into the field and play with the animals and my maid Marcia. I would run into the house and play with the other servants and maids. I smiled to myself thinking about those days when I was free and happy. I just wish I could rewind time and go back to my happier days.

                “Amiria get here this instant!” Katherine, my stepmother, exclaimed in anger. I stopped everything and quickly bound up the steps to her bedroom only to find Lena crying on the floor. A dress was thrown over the sofa with wine covering every inch excluding the hem.

                “Why is there wine all over my daughter’s gown? She’s supposed to wear this to her friend’s engagement dinner party tonight!” She shouted at me

                “I didn’t do it Madam” I mumbled loud enough for her to hear. “It was in your room on your bed with a glass of wine” she retorted slowly walking towards me. “Madam, I don’t know how that happened I was in the kitchen all day” I replied holding my head down suddenly finding my dirty shoes interesting.

                “You’re lying! Mr. Luke said he saw you running in your room with the glass of wine!” Her anger was more than clear at this point. I took my eyes away from my shoes and stared at her in shock and then glancing towards Luke who was standing at the window, his back facing us.         

                “I want you to get that dress and those windows cleaned tonight!” She pointed a bony finger towards the window in the hallway. “But I cleaned them yesterday, Madam.”

                “I said I want them clean!” The anger written on her face almost frightened me. A vein protruded from her forehead as she yelled.  “Yes Madam” I whispered. I walked out of the room hoping, praying for a better life.

                                                                                                *****

                “Your highness, you have less than a week to find your Queen.” Shekel, his assistant, informed. Harry turns towards the big window placed in his office and gazes out into the world beneath him. It was that time again. Time to find a wife, a queen, no matter how many dinner dates he went on or how hard he tried to find his Queen the right girl has yet to show up.