Date Gone Wrong

Author's Note:

Hiya! Thanks for reading this far. Can y'all do me a favor? If you're actually somewhat enjoying my work, please, please, please hit that vote button, and if you're feeling extra generous, leave me a comment! Thanks kids! 

Enjoy the chapter!

"What?!"

Gabrielle's voice echoed throughout the library and I rushed to cover her mouth, still smiling from telling her what had happened in the music department the night before.

Her mouth was gaping open as she tried to form words. "He...kissed...you!? Do you know what this means?!"

I cocked my head to the side, not sure where she was going with this.

"You guys are on the fast path to dating."

I felt heat in my cheeks. "Well, I don't know about that..."

She punched me in the arm. "Damn girl, you work fast! You said you met him at a museum?"

I nodded. "An art show,"

She shook her head as she took a book from the shelf and placed it in her cart. "I need to find myself an art show one of these days..." She mumbled to herself.

"What about Dean?" I objected. She had seemed super tight with him at the party.

"Dean's....well he's not the kind of guy I can see myself with for a long period of time..."

I stared at her. "Then why are you with him?"

She looked at me for a moment before rolling her eyes a little and moving down the bookshelf to find another book. "Jane, haven't you ever just been with a guy just to be with a guy?"

"What do you mean?" I felt thoroughly confused.

Finally, she just stopped and faced me. "It feels good, okay? It feels good to have someone there to be with. It feels good to have someone who cares about you. It feels good to have someone you know wants to be with you. It feels good with Dean."

I was still confused. "So why wouldn't you want to be with him?"

"Because, he's not the one. He isn't the one that I'd give up my life for. You know?"

"Not really." I admitted. "Look, Gabrielle, we're still in High School. If you're looking at guys seeing if they're suitable for marriage, you're likely going to be very disappointed."

She pointed at me. "And that's where you are wrong my friend!"

"How so?"

"If I date guys in high school, with marriage in mind, it allows me to continue my checklist for a guy to look for when I'm in college, or further down the road!"

"Checklist?" I laughed a little. "Guys aren't meant to fulfill a list like a grocery store!"

Gabby shrugged. "I have a list. That's that. You can't expect me to change it."

"No," I mumbled. "But I don't expect you to find happiness with that checklist."

She looked at me and I was almost afraid we were about to go into an argument, but then her facial feature changed. "Okay." She said, relaxing. "That's fine with me."

Then she shrugged as she began replacing books on a shelf. "The point is, this John guy sure does like you."

I couldn't help but smile at the phrase. Then, as if on cue, my phone rang. I glanced at the caller I.D. and nearly dropped the phone. "It's him!" I whispered to Gabrielle.