Book Review

To be honest, I’m not really a fan of gangster stories. The only gangster story I’ve read and liked was ‘She’s Dating The Gangster by @SGwannaB’. Other stories did not catch my attention then after. The rest were clichés, but I guess I spoke too soon. I was hooked by another gangster story.

Actually this book has been in my library for months but I really haven’t find time to read it. A special friend of mine asked me to read it. She even calls me Henrietta. She calls her so-called ‘Ate’ who happens to be my best friend, Autumn (Hi Jaja!) and we call her Summer (Thank me for calling you Summer, Jaezelle!). Well, this friend of mine whom we call Summer and my bestfriend whom she calls Autumn kept talking about it and that lead me into reading this novel. “Montello High: School of Gangsters” written by: Shiela May Familaran also known as @sielalstreim in wattpad. I have just finished reading it last January 31. And believe me I wasn’t able to put my phone down because of it. In fact, I read it twice. And let us make that thrice because I re-read it so I can make sure that this review is worth reading.

I was only reading the first chapter and yet I cannot deny that this novel is really brilliant. The way it was written was very sophisticated despite having two languages used (Filipino and English). To be astonished was an understatement. How it was written was very formal and almost professional. If it wasn’t for a few caps locked words and statements I could've mistaken this work as one of those best selling NY YA Books. I just don’t find putting all caps appropriate even if it is to emphasize something or state that the character is shouting. It can actually be stated through words. There were only minimal typos like the ‘yeha’ which I believe should be ‘yeah’. The English? It was superb! It did not look trying hard like most novels that have main characters that speak TagLish. Instead it sounded cool and witty. The grammar was perfect; it’s pretty obvious that the author is a fluent English speaker for she writes English well too. Only a few typos were seen all throughout the novel, like the missed space after an ellipsis (…), (she typed: ‘attention…or’ when it should be ‘attention… or’) and instead of a period (.) some of the dialogues and statements end with a comma (,). The Filipino words were well used too except for a few like for example the word ‘nun’ which in formal writings should be ‘no’n or noon’. Nevertheless, it was one of the most well written ones on wattpad. It deserves all the appreciation and respect.  

But content and plot wise, this story is a must read. The main character Summer Leondale is a very mysterious girl from the start of the story. It was only the first chapter but it made me think and ask a lot of questions already. I mean, why is she trying to isolate herself? Why does she have to act like she fears nothing? It’s like she is the moon, a part of her is hidden. And I can relate to her in that way. I find it really exciting to find a piece of you in someone else even if that someone else is a fictional character. But at the end of that chapter I was like- ‘Sa dinamirami ng mga lalake na nakadaupang palad niya sa unang araw niya sa Montello High, sino ang magiging love interest niya? ’. I was left hanging with that question. Reading the next chapters made me smile. Reading Summer’s thoughts felt like reading a mirror of my own. Do I have to mention how great the author writes? Well, if that’s a yes. She is awesome! I can’t stop admiring how well each character was formed. So well, it seemed so real. I liked the way Zach Martinia as a leader of the Dark Monarch. I think he leads well. I must say, the way the author, in Summer’s point of view, narrates is great. Usually, I get bored with so much description but with her narration I got so hooked with the story instead.

Knowing myself? I don’t go for guys who are all so perfect. I mean I find them so good to be true. But Christ! Van Freniere? That one heck of a guy? I’ll gladly change courts. I don’t know what’s this with his character that I wanted to marry him just right at the moment that he went in where Summer was weakening like a mushroom and just said: ‘How was the game?’ For goodness’ sake! That’s just a four word sentence and it gave butterflies in my stomach. I was already having kilig vibes all over myself. Do I really have one heck of imagination with such stuffs? I guess I have and it’s a good one. I was enjoying this little paradise of fairytale in my head already, but the moment that Van said ‘You can handle it.’ my little fairytale world crashed into pieces. I guess I got my hopes so high. He isn’t a gangster for nothing after all. I shouldn’t expect a knight in shining armor in him. But then, even if it is Ethan that brought Summer back to the girls’ dormitory I still like Van. For my conclusion, I think he just left Summer there because he knew there was someone coming. Holy Cow! I’m such a fan girl for giving that kind of conclusion. Not to mention that I’m a loyal shipper of SuVan (Summer X Van) now! I wonder where I got that ship name! I’m such lame ship name giver. Anyway, as expected like all love stories; there is a perfect girl almost a princess but this time that girl is not the lead female character. That’s why I’m wondering will she be a hindrance with SuVan? But before I finish reading that chapter my question was answered and just as it was answered I exclaimed: ‘You are so dead Summer!’. I don’t understand that even if Van is already mad and all, I still find him hot, handsome and cool and not a devil like what Summer says. Van being a gorgeous math genius freak is another reason to fan girl about him. But I think Jin would be the one that would build a love triangle around here. I think Ethan is too. Even Zach seems too. Oh God! Why does Summer attract all the hot guys? She seems so lucky with this bunch of guys. I smell a love triangle -love triangles- I correct. Gosh! I’m so in to this story. I thought my perceptions are to trust, I’ve proven that for almost sixteen years of my existence but with these story? I doubt my perceptive skills. Good thing I’m pretty sure Van is so over this girl Trinity, the very perfect girl. I don’t know why but such girls being so nice -scratch that- too nice, irritates me. It’s all lies for me. I believe everyone have monsters inside them that’s what makes us human.