11 Sebastian: Song of the Birds

A mega-chapter here, written quite quickly, but never mind. I really do want REVIEWS from you for this chapter, because last time was AWFUL. Sorry, but one's not good enough.

Grump over. I hope you enjoy :)

11 Sebastian: Song of the Birds

I stood there, transfixed, wondering what the audience meant me to do and say. But, as gentle at the membrane of a butterfly’s wing, I heard one note sung, swelling into the prime of beauty, and a word.

‘Welcome.’

I felt shivers down my spine at the sheer purity of the sound. I had never heard anything so magical before in my life; it was as if I was in the company of angels.

‘In perfect harmony,

We greet.’

Added rougher and older voices, I assumed of the seniors of the school. My mind wandered to Sebastian... would he be there with them? I blinked, noticing that my eyes were starting to water. Unknowingly, I must have been staring.  

‘Welcome to our lives,

Of music we feed our desires.

In perfect harmony,

We greet.’

As the music surged higher, I felt a lump in my throat. Was this where I belonged, I began to doubt, with these musician prodigies and peculiar traditions? With Mr. Howard, and all the deals and blackmail I was sure to become involved in? Or would I be better with Mia, and my caring family? Where I was born and raised, with the friends I had come to love dearly, and the places I knew well?

‘If you want not,

We want not you.

But in perfect harmony,

We still greet.’

No. I will stay.

And at that moment, the whole perspective I had of my life was dramatically changed. I was no longer the best-friend of Mia, nor the small-town girl, aiming only to conquer the school music stage. As Lexi said, I would succeed in this. I had been given the opportunity to flourish, and nothing, not even my blindness, would set me back and stop me from achieving what I wanted in my heart.

‘In perfect harmony,

We greet you.'

 As the song ended, I felt a huge smile creep over my face. All nervousness was gone; I did not care about what the audience might think of me, but all I wanted was to stay at Weymere.  

“So, do you want to introduce yourself, Melissa?” A woman’s voice, light and dainty, broke the tense silence. “Why don’t you tell us first about your family?”

“That’s the hardest one for me, I’m afraid.” I heard a rumble from the audience, and realised that that must have been the first words they had heard me speak. “I’m an only child now. My brother died from cancer four years ago... he was nineteen and at Oxford University.” I paused, clearing my throat, and trying not to let the sudden tears brim over. Why did that have to be the first question?  “I miss him more than anyone could imagine, and my parents have been wonderful to me, truly, even after my accident. Letting me come here was very brave of them; I know they didn’t want me to leave.”

The crowd oohed and ahhed sympathetically. I felt the air move as the woman, who was later introduced as Georgia, pointed her arm towards a member of the audience. It took me a few seconds to realise that my introduction was, at any time, open for questions. “Miss Summers.”

“So, is it true that you’re blind?” Melody Summers asked in a sickly tone, almost aiming to provoke me. "Or is it just a rumour?"

“No, I was made blind in a car accident. I was coming back from a concert, when a white sports car drove into the back of us.” I looked down, not wanting for her to press the question further. I did not want to tell anyone more personal details about the accident, or at least not yet.

"Do you like the school?" A timid boy asked, once convinced by his friends. "Are you going to stay?"

I chuckled. "Of course I'm going to stay: it's wonderful! It's very different from what I expected, as nobody told me anything about the academy before I arrived. And of course, I couldn't see any pictures of it for myself."

A girl, quite possibly the one who sung the first line of the welcoming song, was next to ask a question. "What's your favourite colour... and number?"

"Colour... probably dark orange, like my cello... and my favourite number, 144. It's so even, being 12x12, it just appeals to me, and it has 15 factors. Pretty awesome?" I prayed that the girl was a maths genius. 

Georgia stood up suddenly. "Now, Melissa, you're keeping us in suspense here. Only one student knows how old you are, and indeed, which class you are to join. So would you like to tell us?"

It was just like a soap opera on TV, I thought afterwards, with all this drama and suspense, these questions and rituals. "I'm fifteen," I said and gasps echoed through the hall, "and will be joining... class Haydn!" There was a huge cheer from the second row of chairs.

“Mr. Howard?” Georgia said, openly surprised. “Is your hand up to-”

“Yes.” Sebastian replied curtly, if a little rudely, and I felt a surge of annoyance. He wasn’t supposed to be making things difficult for me! “Melissa, will you play something for us?”

As I thought of everything that I had talked about: my brother, my music, and the song that they had sung when I arrived, a melody from a long time ago popped into my head. My fingers began to move, drumming on imaginary cello strings on my thigh. “I have the perfect tune... but, um... can I sit?” The audience laughed with me, and a seat was placed behind me. "It's a song, but I'm no singer, so I’ll play it to you. It's called 'Song of the Birds', and my brother used to hum it to me before I went to sleep."

Testing the cold strings, I gradually entered the first trill, then to the unnatural low E-flat chord. Bringing out the tune, singing out in the high-ceilinged room, I slowly started the main theme. After all, this was an impromptu performance, and if it all went wrong... well, I wasn't expecting to play it, right? So whatever happened, it would be good. At least I didn't chicken out.

But I'd certainly, whatever the outcome, have a word or two with Sebastian Howard afterwards. And he'd regret his actions instantly.