Burning in the night.....

I think this is one of my favorites, this is my fireman.... ohh so yummy..... let me know what you think ladies and gents.

Burning in the night.....

Julie woke with a start, her body so hot it hurt. She coughed trying to rid her throat of the hot dryness. Her eyes watered in pain and her skin felt like it would melt. It sounded like there was a rain storm outside, but that didn’t make sense, not when it was this hot out. She couldn’t figure out what was going on, it was so hot, and, smokey.

“Oh god” She gasped as her eyes opened to see bellows of smoke, fire crawling up her walls, consuming the easy access wood panels above her bed. Julie shook with fear as she watched helplessly as the fire poured in from all angles, covering almost everything but the bed she was on, there was no way out. She was going to die.

In that moment she wished she had still been asleep, at least then she wouldn’t have felt it from inhaling the smoke. Julie looked around and cried, she knew she would die tonight. Her twenty-fourth birthday would be her last. She had had a wonderful night of celebrations and now, it appears that she would live to see the first twenty four hours of her twenty-fourth year.

The sounds of the fire exploded in her head as she looked to the window. She was four stories up in the apartment, there would be no way she could survive if she jumped,and she knew if she smashed the window the oxygen would make an explosion in the apartment, do to the refuelling it would gain. She was screwed.

Her body shook with coughs and cries as she watched the fire move, felt the heat rise, watched the paint bubble. She could do nothing as the blazing inferno destroyed her life, all of her life. Julie held the blanket against her mouth hoping to stop the pain filled coughs from the smoke, why? She didn’t know, but something told her to hold it there.

The blanket fell as a window smashed in the living room, and on gut instinct she pulled the blanket over her head as a rush of heat and flames engulfed the room, covering her fully in the inferno. Her skin peeled and blistered from the heat, her hair partially melted but the flames pulled back before anything real could be damaged.

She threw off the blazing blanket and scrambled for the window, pulling as hard as she could, now that the fire was refuelled she would be able to open the window and hope to god that someone would hear her, and maybe, just maybe someone would save her from her death.

The window was hot and burnt her fingers as she pulled against the metal, trying to pull it free. Seconds had passed as she looked back to her burning room, looking for something that could break through the glass. The lamp her bother had gotten her still sat on the bed side table. She reached for it, the metal too hot to pick up, but she did, and with all her might she threw it at the window, shattering it on impact.

The fire rose but didn’t engulf anything as it already had a rich oxygen supply in the living room. She crawled over the glass on the bed and pulled her head up to the window, and almost cried out in relief when a man in a Fireman outfit crouched on a ladder in front of her trying to reach for her.

She cried at the look of concern in his pale blue eyes. “Ma'am come on.” He yelled over the blazing sounds of the fire. She wiped her tears on the palms of her hands adding a bit of moisture to maybe help with the heat, but she knew it was useless. The ladder in the firetruck moved closer and the Fireman was able to reach into the window as she lifted her arms, unable to support her body. He hooked his elbows under her armpits, locking his gloved hands together as he heaved her out of the room, through the broken glass window, trying to avoid letting her get caught or cut on the metal and glass.