Chapter 23 - Silence and Teasing

Blythe's POV

The afternoon had been somewhat awkward. After gawking over the high-end accommodations, I went into the parlor and feigned interest in a fashion magazine from the coffee table. Truthfully, I found my gaze drifting repeatedly toward the bedroom. Through the French doors, I could see Luca talking to someone on his cell phone. I saw him hang up and dial a few times, so I knew he had spoken with more people than just Walker.

At one point, he laughed loudly, and the teasing grin on his face filled me with resentment. I was certain he was flirting with Natalie, and I was livid with myself for caring. After I wasted an hour pretending the magazine held the most fascinating, life-changing article I'd ever read, Luca finally exited the bedroom, a look of frustration on his face.

It seemed that while he was worried about getting me to safety, a truce of sorts had been made, but now that we were settled for the foreseeable future, his anger at me had returned. His version of the silent treatment included scathing glances and mumbling words I couldn't understand under his breath. He paced the room and grunted a few times. The approach was passive aggressive, and I wished he'd just spit out whatever it was he wanted to say. It didn't help that I was consumed with jealousy over this Natalie woman that suddenly seemed to be a large part of his life. Scolding myself for caring, I decided I need to be a little more productive.

"Luca," I began, somewhat timidly. I wasn't used to him being mad at me. I hadn't liked it at the engagement party or at the bus station, and I certainly didn't like it now. "May I use your phone to check on my sister?"

His eyes snapped to mine, chocolate orbs still flashing with unreleased fury.

"It's not safe," he growled, stalking to the window. As he stared at the city of Chicago, I tried again, forcing myself to ignore the tantalizing muscles of his broad back.

"Luca, I need to know that Farrah is okay," I murmured. "Please," I begged pitifully.

He glanced at me for a moment, rubbing the back of his neck with his large hand.

"Fine," he sighed. "It's a burner phone anyway. I'm tossing it tonight. Natalie is getting me an untraceable, encrypted one."

There was that name again. I gritted my teeth as Luca reached into his pocket to retrieve the small, black cell phone. When he handed it to me, I hurried to the bedroom. I closed the French doors and settled onto the bed, anxious about the phone. The mattress felt like a cloud, and my body ached to sink into its comforting embrace for a nap. Instead, I dialed the farmhouse, hoping for good news.

"Conner's House. This is Charlie."

I froze at the sound of his voice. We had spoken just the day before, but I still had no idea what to say.

"Ch -Charlie?" I stuttered. "It's Blythe."

"Blythe, thank god. Are you still okay?" His words were laced with true concern.

"I'm good. We're in hiding for now," I explained. "I just wanted to check on Farrah. Is she around?" I asked hopefully.

"She's staying with my parents, Blythe. They aren't even letting her go to school right now." His words were intended to give me comfort. "She's pretty much under house arrest."

Charlie's tone tried to lighten the mood, but his words were still solemn. I felt tenderness toward him as I thought of all he was doing for me and my family.

"Have you called my parents?" I asked, twisting a strand of my hair between my fingers.

"No. They'll be back in less than two days. If they cut their trip early, they'd probably only save a few hours," he reasoned, and I had to agree that his decision was sound. "Plus, I don't want to worry them needlessly," he confessed.