Chapter 9 : Racing to safety

Chapter 9

Jeff POV

Alex and I were frozen. But we were both freaking out inside.

"Help me push the bed in front of the door," Alex whispered.

I got up, and helped her move the bed. We heard loud footsteps coming up the stairs.

Alex grabbed my hand, and pulled me over to the window. She pushed it open, and crawled out onto the roof. I followed her.

We were able to jump down to the ground safely, and we took off running.

"Do you know where we're going?" I asked.

"Away from that house."

"Alex, we'll get caught!"

"Not if we keep running."

We ran for a good 10 minutes. We made it back to Dalton. David was in the parking lot, about to leave with his family. We ran over to him.

"David, his father is trying to kill us! Please can we get a ride to Blaine's house?" Alex asked.

"Yeah, get in."

We got in his parents' car, and they gave us a ride to Blaine's. We hopped out, and knocked on the door. Blaine answered, and we immediately ran inside.

"Hey, my parents told me you'd be staying here. But I didn't think it'd be until later tonight," Blaine said, taking us up to his room.

"Blaine, you have to call 911," Alex said.

"Why?"

"Jeff's dad shot my uncle," she said, starting to cry.

"Oh my god... Ok. Let me tell my parents. They'll handle it. They know what's going on and stuff."

Blaine left. I wrapped my arms around Alex as she cried.

"It's ok," I whispered.

She cried into my chest.

"It's not ok! He's probably laying there, dead!"

"I'm sorry..."

I held her tighter.

"You're all I've got left now, Jeff. I've lost my parents, and now my uncle. I can't lose you too!"

"But if he did kill your uncle, he goes back to jail, right? And then we'll be safe!"

"I hope so, Jeff."

Blaine came back.

"I told my dad. He's calling the police."

"Thanks, Blaine," Alex said.

I kept my grip on Alex, and tried not to cry.

"So... You guys can either sleep in here. Or in the guest room. We can put the bed wherever you guys want it."

"Can we sleep in here?" I asked Alex.

She nodded.

"In here please," I said, quietly.

I got up to help Blaine get the bed. We moved it into his room.

I hugged Alex again tightly.

"I'll let you guys get settled," Blaine said, leaving the room.

"Please don't cry. Everything will be ok now. My dad will get arrested."

"Jeff, if my uncle is dead, we have no guardian anymore."

My mouth fell open. I forgot about that...

"Well... Maybe someone would adopt us. Like Nicky's dad. Or Sebastian's uncle. Please just stop crying. I hate it. I just want us to be happy together."

"Everything is so messed up right now. I thought once school was over, we'd be able to get away from everything making you anxious. And now this happened."

Blaine stepped into the doorway, and knocked.

"Uh... Sorry to interrupt, but I just wanted to let you guys know that Jeff's dad is on the news. He's running from the police, and at the moment, they can't find him. Oh and Alex, your uncle is ok. He was shot, but he doesn't have any life threatening injuries. He just needs some time to recover. He's at the hospital right now."

"Oh thank god."

I hugged her extra tight.

"Blaine, do you think your parents could drive me and Jeff to the hospital to go visit my uncle?"

"Yeah, they actually sent me up here to ask if you wanted to go now."

"Tell them yes. And thanks."

I turned back to Alex as Blaine left. I wiped the tears off her cheeks. She smiled at me.

Maybe things will be ok now.

We went downstairs, and got into the back of the car with Blaine. Alex was in the middle, and she had her head on my shoulder. I put my arm around her, holding her close.

"I want you guys staying together when we get there. I don't want Jeff's dad to somehow get you guys," Blaine's dad said.

We all agreed to stick together.

We got to the hospital, and went to Alex's uncle's room. He was laying in a bed with his shirt off, and had a bandage over part of his chest.

Alex started crying again, and went to hug him. I hugged him too.

"Thank god you guys are safe," he said.

"Us? What about you?" Alex asked.

"I thought for sure he got you two."

"We jumped out the window, went back to Dalton, and got a ride with David's family to Blaine's house."

I wrapped my arms around Alex from behind.

"When can you go home?" Alex asked.

"They said I can go home tomorrow if everything is ok."

"That's good..."

"I'm going to sell the house and get an apartment. And then I'll have you two live with me again. And hopefully by the time I have the apartment, Jeff's dad will be back in jail. He'll get in trouble for shooting me."

"He's on the run right now. Police don't know where he is, but he's running from them," Blaine said.

"You won't have to worry about custody anymore, Jeffy," Alex said.

"Yeah, there's no way they'd let him have custody of you after everything that's happened," her uncle said.

I sighed, still holding onto Alex tightly.

"I'm glad you guys are ok, but I want you to go back to Blaine's until Jeff's father is caught."

"Ok... When are we going to see you again?" Alex asked.

"I don't know. I'll text or call when something happens, ok? You two, stay safe."

Alex and I gave her uncle a hug, and then Blaine's family drove us back to their house.

Blaine had to go help make dinner, so it was just me and Alex upstairs.

"My dad is still out there..." I whispered.

"I know, Jeff."

"I don't feel safe."

"Well I think we're safer than being at Dalton. There's really not much we can do now, Jeffy. We just have to wait it out, and hope your dad gets caught soon."

I sighed.

"Ok..."