Chapter Two

(Brielle)

We decided to start our search in a quaint little seaside down that was a couple miles away from the Academy, and the guys and I were beginning our trek through the downtown area when Jay started complaining about being hungry.

"Jay, we have only just begun our search. Can you wait?" Zane sighed.

"No, I'm starving!" Jay moaned.

My eyes darted around the area, looking for a store that might sell food. None caught my eye- the street consisted of a beauty parlor, a hardware store, a tiny boutique, an electronics store, a souvenir shop, and a pharmacy. 

"Jay, there isn't anywhere that sells food on this block. You're gonna have to wait another ten minutes. Now, does anyone see a potential ninja of light?" I asked, brushing a strawberry blonde curl behind my ear.

"What about him?" Cole wondered aloud, gesturing to a guy who had just left the hardware store. He had close cropped brown hair and dark eyes. He was pretty fit and not so bad looking.

I glanced sideways at Cole.

"I dunno, maybe we should talk to him," Kai suggested.

WIth no other choice, we simply nodded and followed him as he strutted over to the guy, who wore a plaid flannel shirt and jeans. He looked up at our group, eyebrows raised.

"Hi," Kai greeted, flashing a smile. "I'm Kai, the red ninja. Perhaps you've heard of me?"

I rolled my eyes. He was so cocky- no wonder Nariah broke up with him, but, I, on the other hand, was still with Cole, because, hey, what can I say? He's pretty darn perfect.

The boy's eyes scanned us. "Um, not really. Did you like, do something?" he asked.

Kai huffed. "Well, duh! We've saved Ninjago from certain destruction at least five times!" Kai blurted. "That is, my team and I." Kai gestured to each of us.

"Um I think I kind of recognize you, but not her..."

"Uh, hi," I interjected with a small wave. "I'm Brielle, silver ninja, master of air. Most of my work has been done underground, but, uh, the thing is, we're asking you if you'd like to become a ninja, and that's a pretty hard deal to pass up."

"Yeah, okay. What do you guys want? Because I already have insurance."

"Okay, we're obviously not getting anywhere with this guy. What do you say we move on?" Jay inquired.

"I agree," Cole nodded.

So, just like that, we left the guy standing there on the sidewalk. I felt kind of bad, but he seemed pretty negative, and nothing at all like a ninja of light.

"Hey, um, how are we supposed to tell what person is right?" I questioned as we walked. The sun was slowly dipping lower in the sky, casting longer shadows and the sky was beginning to color. It was also getting cooler, and I shivered in my sweatshirt. Cole wrapped an arm around me and I smiled.

"I suppose that we will just know," Zane replied coolly. "Like an instinct. Supposedly, elementals such as ourselves can almost sense when we are around one of our own."

"Interesting," Jay grumbled, "Now can we please find something to eat?"

"Well, you're in luck," Cole pointed out as we rounded the corner, "there's a bakery right over there."

(Dawn)

 It was very quiet today, not that I minded, I mean, I like quiet. But it was, like, too quiet, and when its too quiet you know that something suspicious is going on, and then something exciting is going to happen, because literally no one came into the bakery today, so I was really just making dozens of cupcakes in the back out of boredom. I have to admit, though, that those cupcakes were some of the best that I've made. 

I was about to close the shop when I spotted a couple of people walking down the street. Thinking that they could be potential customers, I stepped away from the door and dashed behind the counter. 

Meow, Meow!

Hearing the noise, I checked the clock on the wall. It read 5:30, which meant that it was time to feed Butterscotch. Nevertheless, the people outside were actually coming towards the bakery, so my cat would have to wait a bit longer.

The bell chimed as the people walked in; the group consisted of four guys and a girl who all looked to be around my age. Gosh, this was a lot of people. Get it together, Dawn, I chided myself. Here we go...

"Welcome to the Cupcakery!" I greeted, putting on a cheery face.  "How may I help you folks today?"

One of the guys, who had auburn hair and startling blue eyes, stepped up first. "Yeah, can we get, like, five cupcakes to go?" he asked, pulling out ten dollars.

Not before raising my eyebrows, I obliged, and chose five random cupcakes from the case, since he didn't specify on the flavors, and put them in a to-go box, sliding the box across the counter to him.

"That'll be twelve-fifty," I declared.

"I've only got ten," the guy whined. 

"Dude, I have five dollars," another boy whispered to him. This one had green eyes and a mess of brown hair that didn't look to have been brushed in a long while. "At least, I think I do," messy hair muttered, rummaging through his pockets. The other people had almost worried looks in their eyes, and I believed that they were in a rush.

"Hey," I replied, taking the ten dollars, "don't worry about it. You guys look like you're in a hurry, so the extra cupcake is on the house, okay?" I gave them a small smile as I placed the ten dollars in the cash register.

Upon me saying this, the girl's sky blue eyes lit up. "Hey, um, have you ever heard of the ninja before?"

The ninja? Like the ones who had saved Ninjago at least five times? "Um, yeah," I answered. 

The girl, who had really pretty strawberry blonde curls, gave a small smile and looked at her companions. One of them, who had black hair and dark eyes shrugged, and so did the one with the electric eyes. Messy hair nodded. The last guy, who had icy blue eyes and platinum blonde hair glanced the girl's way, but remained motionless and silent. The faint mews of Butterscotch were really the only sounds that echoed through the bakery, until the girl spoke up again.

"How would you like to be one?"