Chapter Eight

(Dawn)

At the sight of the temple, I'm pretty sure my heart stopped for a second. It blended into the mountains fairly well, with black spires stretching into the air as if reaching for the clouds. The place didn't look too big, but I assumed it was because the majority of it delved deep into the mountain on which it rested. The entire building seemed to be crafted out of obsidian, and dark smoke swirled around it ominously. The single entrance was a large opening in the structure, which seemed to absorb all of the light that hit it, acting like a black hole.

To say the least, I was terrified. I didn't understand what I was doing here. For starters, I had not even been trained! I could hardly work a kitchen knife, let alone golden elemental daggers. Heck, I didn't even know how to do Spinjitzu.

A bead of sweat dripped down my temple as Cole explained to the group the plan. My anxiety was taking over and his words were fuzzy. Oh great, now I'm not even going to know the plan. Good work, idiot.

"...And then once we sneak inside using those directions EXACTLY, we will stealthily make our way into the temple and try and find Ravenna before Garmadon does something. We will probably have to fight the shadow things, which sucks because we don't know their weaknesses..." Cole explained, glancing at Misako.

The old woman nodded in confirmation that the Shadows' kryptonite was unknown.

Cole continued talking as I struggled to listen over my own thoughts. I nearly screamed when I felt a hand on my shoulder, jumping to see Zane's intense blue eyes looking at me with concern.

"Dawn," he said in a warm, soft whisper, "are you feeling alright? Your heart is beating at abnormal speeds."

My cheeks grew hot. "Uh," I began, twirling a lock of hair around my finger, "No. Not really. Well, like, I'm not sick, but I don't feel awesome. It's more mental than physical." I was blabbering again. "I mean, um, I'm just nervous is all. I don't exactly have any training like the rest of you guys."

"That is true," Zane acknowledged. "However, I can assure you that you will be alright. I sense great potential in you," the boy smiled warmly.

"Thanks," I replied.

"Okay," Cole announced, "Is everyone clear on the plan?"

Before I could say anything, Jay said yes, and then Cole nodded.

"First thing's first," the black ninja said, throwing on his hood, "We have to get in."

(Zane)

I was worried for Dawn. She seemed so frightened. Of course, it is no mystery as to why; the Shadow Temple did look rather menacing. Dawn was also correct about the fact that she had no training. I wished that I could comfort her somehow. Seeing her upset, for some reason, made me upset, too. I wanted so desperately to see her smiling that sweet smile.

We were all stealthily following Cole through the cliffs, even Misako in her old age. Brielle was helping Dawn along, in the back of the rest of us. So far, we had not been spotted, but I was not sure if there was anyone out here that would see us.

My indicators detected life forces around the temple, but all that I could see were shadowy wisps flitting about around the sharp turrets of the thing. The Temple looked more like a sinister palace than a temple, come to think of it. The Shadow Legion obviously was not good at naming things.

After a bit of a struggle, we made it to the ledge that held the Shadow Temple's entrance. Up close, I realized that the smoke plumes were actually the Shadow people, or Shades. They had ultraviolet eyes that shown amid their foggy forms, staring down at us from above. Not one had seen us, moving along the jagged edge of the cliff, but there was no doubt that we would be noticed soon.

"Okay, team," Cole said, "There's no way to get into the Temple without passing those things. We're just going to have to make a break for it and fight as best as possible."

Dawn blanched.

Kai's eyes shown with a fiery determination as he nodded and pulled on his ninja hood, pulling his elemental blade out from his gi. "I'm prepared for anything these things can throw at us."

I wondered where that spark had come from. Even so, I, following the others' example, pulled on my hood and climbed over the side.

(Dawn)

As soon as I had lifted myself onto the base of the cliff, a loud screech sounded from one of the Shades up above. I looked up to see that the thing was emitting a shrill, deafening shriek, alerting it's fellow guards of our presence. The screaming Shade was heading straight toward me, and as it did, it seemed to change form.

Instead of a foggy cloud, the shade was morphing into something more humanoid, growing a large mouth filled with rows of pearly fangs and shaping itself to have an only slightly opaque body with two arms and legs, a trail of black mist streaming behind it as it jettisoned toward me. Its eyes stayed that violent violet color that bore into my soul.

I wished that I could just disappear. I imagined that I was invisible; totally transparent and gone from the sight of everything. A tingling sensation spread over me and I wondered what had happened when the shade stopped in midair, looking confused, and then changed course, heading straight for Misako.

What in the world had just occurred?

Misako dodged the Shade and looked in my direction with a knowing smile. Brielle gasped as she ran toward the temple, avoiding shades. Lastly, the boys all wore similar, astonished expressions on their faces.

To me, it was now apparent.

I had turned invisible.

(Ravenna)

When my eyes opened again I was in a new place. I was really getting sick of constantly being knocked unconscious and waking up in foreign coordinates.

This time, I was lying on something soft, which was a breath of fresh air compared to that horrid wooden table that I had been strapped to. The room around me was only illuminated by a single candle bearing a purple flame. From what I could make out, I was in a bedroom of sorts, as the place contained a wardrobe, dresser, nightstand, and a bed, which I was currently lying on.

I sat up, staring at the lone door on the opposite side of the room. It was thick and wooden, the edges rotting slightly. The air in here was damp, but I soon realized that that was because I was in a cave, complete with stalactites hanging from the ceiling, threatening to pierce me should one fall.

I tried to remember where I was and why I was where I was. Brief flashes of my father and purple smoke crossed my mind, and then, like a bullet, everything came shooting back to me.

As if that memory bullet had shot my heart, I knew, then, only one thing; that the Shadows were good.

Smiling, I got up and noticed my attire. It was a deep purple ninja-gi of sorts, but it fit me perfectly and felt like silk against my skin, though I knew it couldn't have been. Making my way toward the door, I crossed the mirror on the wall and saw that instead of hazel, my eyes were an electric looking purple, a stark contrast to my ebony hair and fair skin.

The old door, to my surprise, opened easily, and I stepped out into a long hallway that seemed to stretch forever. I heard conversation coming from down the way, so I followed the sound to a room with a blue light filtering into the hallway. The voices were both familiar and vague to me.

Upon arrival, it was clear that those in conversation were my dear father and a Shade that looked to be in higher command. Father noticed me and grinned in the blue light.

"Welcome home, darling."