Chapter 8: Silent But Deadly

                Matthew averts his eyes from his mom as she silently watches them eat. Even Sara is quiet. After a minute, Matthew finally speaks up.

                “So… umm… am I in trouble…?” He asks hesitantly.

                His mother gives him a big fake smile. “Of course not! Why would you ever be in trouble? It’s just that the police have been trying to find her, and you don’t think for a moment to call them to let them know she’s safe now? What were you thinking?! After you finish, I want you to report that you found her right away.”

                “Umm… ok… and I’m really sor-“

                “No.” Sara says flatly.

                Both Matthew and his mother stare at her astonished.

                “No…?” His mother asks in disbelief.

                “No.” Sara says again shortly. “I don’t want anyone to know I’m back. …I can’t stay.”

                Matthew rises out of his chair in alarm. “What do you mean, you can’t stay! Of course you can, this is your home, you have your foster parents and your friends back at school, I’m sure they’re all worried sick about you!”

                Sara looks at her feet, conflicted emotion in her eyes. “If it were some other circumstance…” She whispers. “If things were different… maybe. But Matthew… just because I got away… doesn’t mean the people who kidnapped me are done looking for me. The man who had me kidnapped is still looking for me.”

                “Man who had you kidnapped? Do you mean someone organized that kidnapping? What’s happened to you anyway Sara?”

                “…Matthew…you need to watch the news more…” She mutters.

                His mother’s eyes gleam faintly. “…Sara. Come with me, there’s something I need to ask you.”

                Nodding silently, Sara follows his mom into her room, where she closes the door behind Sara, and then crosses her arms.

                “I’m not doubting who you say you are, Sara… but I have to ask… is this you?” She holds out a photograph of the news program she had seen earlier, the one reporting on the mysterious girl who had taken on the military in California and had been on the run ever since.

                “Are you the one in this photograph?” She asks barely above a whisper.

                Sara stares at the photo, an increasingly solemn look entering her eyes.

                “…Yes…”

                “So what they said in the news, that person being an human experiment… was that you…?”

                “…Yes.” Sara looks away. “I am EX0L8… but I am also Sara.”

                His mother purses her lips. “Why are you here? What reason did you come back if you can’t stay here? Don’t you realize that what you are is making people hunt you down, and that will put my son in danger?”

                Sara’s only response is a slight nod.

                “So why are you here?”