Down the Alley

January 1st, 2017, It's a new year, and I'm lost. As people celebrate the new year with family, friends, and neighbors, I roam the streets while the rain pours down on my head.

My clothes are soaking wet, and I'm cold to the core. I didn't know we're I lived, I didn't know we're I was, and I didn't even know what my name was. All I knew was a part of me was dead, and the other part was alive, but filled with confusion. I had my phone in my pocket, but the screen was cracked for some reason so my phone wouldn't turn on.

We're to go, what to do? I was helpless, and the only thing left I could think of doing was to kill myself. Doing that would only be taking the easy way out though, I wanted to find out who I was and why I forgot everything. The only reason why I didn't forget what day it was, was because I saw on a huge t.v screen in a window it said Happy New Year! If it wasn't for that t.v I wouldn't even know what day it is.

I would first like to start with telling you that as of right now, I'm screwed. I have no money, no food, and no family. I would have a family, but, in the end, people show there true colors. Anyways, I'll get to that later. The rain started to come down hard and I had to take shelter. It was late at night though and every place I saw was closed. There was this alley way though, and there was a trash can lit on fire with no one surrounding it. The trash can was under a roof so no rain was hitting it.

I approached the dark alley, and was lucky to see the trash can because I was freezing. As I approached it I felt the warmth of the fire. I was so happy to be warm again. I huddled up by the fire and it really relaxed me. I was so relieved to have found this nice fire, but than on the other side of the fire I saw a person. I couldn't tell if it was a boy or a girl. The fire was bright but this person was in the darkness of the alley. The person spoke up with a deep creepy voice...

"So, what you up too on a night like tonight? You know you should be partying right?" The person said.

I looked at the warm fire and I didn't want to talk back because I was so cold, but I decided to make conversation, I had nothing better to do anyways.

"I don't exactly know what I'm doing, I am lost and I don't even know we're I'm at. I awoke on a bed in a motel 6, and there was blood on the bed. I went over to the mirror and saw that my head had a cut in it. I didn't know what had occurred prior to that happening, but all I knew was I was in a motel, alone, and I could've died from bleeding out. I couldn't call for help though because my phone was broke, screen fully cracked, and the motel phone line was disconnected." I told the man.

The man walked a little closer, but I still couldn't quite make out who he was. He chuckled and said "sounds to me like someone tried to kill you and leave you to die."

I mean it sort of made sense, but at the same time who would want to do that? I was a good guy, I only associated myself with good people, and people from my church. Who would want to hurt me?

"Who are you?" I asked the mysterious man.

"I'll tell you who I am, if you tell me who you are." The man said back as he chuckled.

What the hell, how the hell am I suppose to explain to him who I am? I didn't even know who I was, so I couldn't tell him. I was about to just go around the fire and bring him closer so I could find out who he was. I had to respond back to him though, but I didn't know what to say.

"I asked you first, it's only fair you tell me who you are first than I'll tell you who I am" I said back with a bold voice.

He laughed once again, this time a little longer, and than proceeded on saying.

"Fair enough, I'm the person you despise. The person that you want to kill, but can't. I'm the person that ruined your life. If you knew who I was, you would come on over here, and you would kill me. There you go, you should know who I am now, right?" The man said deviously.

I was so confused right now, I've never had any enemies that I've truly hated or wanted to kill, so what was this guy talking about? Did he really know me? Meanwhile while I was thinking of who he could have been the fire was warming me up as each second went by. I felt like I was starting to regain some memory of my life. Mainly just of my marriage with my wife, and a few important events that had happened in my life. Instead of focusing on the creepy man, I decided to focus on trying to remember more of my life. As each second went by I would remember a little bit more.

"Something wrong?" The man said with confusion. I ignored him, and just kept trying to think of everything that led up to this point in my life. I wanted to remember what happened prior to waking up in the motel. I feel like someone really tried to kill me. I sat down next to the fire, and just relaxed. The more I relaxed the more info I retained back, and I started to remember what had happened.

"Would you like to tell me what your thinking about?" The man had said.

Maybe if I tell him what I'm thinking about he will shut up, and it will help me remember more information. Well it's worth a shot! I told myself, so I looked at him and proceeded on saying "I'm starting to remember what had happened prior to waking up in the motel. But to understand everything up to that point, I have to begin with telling you a little bit about my life before that. Just a few months prior before everything went downhill, life was perfect." I said and continued on explaining...