Chapter Three

Walking home from work around eight thirty listening to my CD player, I didn't remember about all the wierd events that had happened to me.

       I shivered at the cold as a gust of wind hit me. I quickened my pace, eager to get home to a hot shower. Walking briskly up the short steps to the porch, I opened the door.

       The front rooms of the house were dark, so I assumed everyone had gone to their rooms. I felt a little hungry, so went into the dark kitchen to make a snack. Walking to the fridge, their was a note on the door. I turned on the light near the table, went back to the fridge, grabbed the note, and read a loud.

      Sarah,

      Went to take Luis to his friends. Be right back. If you're hungry, I made enchiladas. They're in the microwave.

       I crumpled the paper, grabbed the food from the microwave and sat at the dining table. The food was still hot, so I started grubbing. I was almost done when I heard a sound upstairs. I paused, and went to listen more closely. Another sound.

       I got up quietly, went to the living room, and crept up the stairs slowly. Hearing another sound more clearly, it sounded like creaking of the old floorboards. The footsteps were around the corner from me. I paused when I saw the faint shadow in the dark hallway. But the shadow moved quickly on me. The person grabbed my wrist. I gasped, grabbedhis arm, and twisted. He was ready though.He used his other arm to hit my hand away. I punched, but he dodged, grabbed my arm. I seen in the corner, my brother's bat. I pulled away, raised the bat, and swung down. He snatched it from me.

        "Hey!"I yelled, suprised. I sank back into the wall. The person turned on the light.

       "Dad!" I said, relieved. He looked at me anxiously, then the bat. "Oh! I'm sorry about that. I thought you all left."

       "It's okay," he said.

       "Why'd you act like that? You could have just said it was you, and I wouls have stopped." I breathed a little hard from our struggle.

       "I wanted to see how you would react if you thought their was a burgler." He put the bat in the nearby closet. "You did well. I'm pretty sure no burgler or bad guy will get past you."

       "Dad!" I breathed. "I think their is a better way to check for that. You scared me half to death!"

       "Hey, you hit back. And when did the bat getinto it?"

      "Sorry," i repeated, a little ashamed.

      "It's alright," he reassured. "So, you were going to your room, before you tried to beat me?"  My cheeks burned.

       "Yes." I stood awkwardly in front of him, but grateful he changed the subject.

       "Well, you can't go until I show you your grades," he said, taking out a piece of paper from his pocket.

       "Oh." I tried remembering what I got last quarter. As he looked over the report, he shook his head. Did I get bad grades? I thought to myself.\

       Still shaking his head, he passed me the paper. I looked at it. Two A's, three B's, and a C. i looked up, confused to see him with a big grin on his face.

       "I'm just kidding," he said, grabbing my shoulder in a tight hug. "You did good kid, I'm proud of you."

       "Thanks." My dad was very cool. A little unorthodox in some ways of teaching his kids like just shown, but nice. Dad was about five nine, with dark, curly, wild hair, and green eyes. They were mysterious. Also, he was very smart. I got my brains from his side of the family I guess, as well as my brother too.