Chapter 7

"I'll be back in a few weeks," he said to her.

"I know; I just wish you didn't have to go," she replied, looking down at her feet.

She twirled the silver diamond engagement ring he had given her on her finger, a habit she picked up when she was nervous.

He tapped her chin up so that she was looking into his ocean blue eyes.

"I'll be back before you know it," he told her.

"I doubt that," she mumbled.

He looked her over, his blue eyes taking in every feature of hers, as if he wanted to memorize her face before he left. But he had already memorized it. After all, they had been together for nearly seven years.

"I promise to call every night," he said.

She nodded, looking down again. He reached out and cupped her face in his strong hands. He caressed her cheeks with the pads of his thumbs before leaning down and kissing her gently.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you, too," she replied.

Then there was a flash of light and she was in the hospital. He was being wheeled into the emergency room on a hospital girney. Doctors were shouting orders to prepare the room for surgery and she was shouting in agony and pain.

Then the red light above the room went out. The surgery was finished. This was the moment of truth. The doctor walked out and she knew by the look on his face. She knew and she screamed.

I woke up screaming and writhing in my bed. There was sweat on every inch of my body, my clothes sticking to my damp skin.

I looked at the clock.

1:00 am.

Regaining composure and steadying my heartrate, I got out of bed and went into the bathroom to take a shower. I looked at myself in the mirror, my skin pale. The silver diamond ring on my finger was slippery because of the perspiration. I slid it off and jumped into the shower.

It was raining out tonight. There had been lightening and thunder earlier; that's how I fell asleep in the first place. I loved the rain.

I threw my hood up over my head and stuffed my hands in my pockets. It was humid, so the air was thick with moisture. The night life was quiet tonight.

I made my way to La Bonne and walked in, pulling my hood off and shaking my hair out. I looked around and to my surprise, I saw Serena, the girl I had met a few weeks ago on her birthday. I took my usual spot by the window. I could hear the pat-pat-pat of the rain as it hit the window. It picked up instantly.

I ordered my usual and sat staring out the window. I heard a movement and looked over. Serena waas now sitting in front of me.

"Hi," she said.

"Hey," I replied.

She was dressed up again, wearing a navy blue blazer with a tight black skirt and a white sequined tank. Her make-up looked professional and her hair shone under the dim lights of the cafe.

"Is it raining really hard out?" she asked me. I wondered why; she could easily see that the rain was coming down in sheets.

"Yes," I replied. She sighed.

"I guess I'm stuck in here for another hour," she mumbled, resting her chin on her hand. I didn't say anything. We looked at each other for a few moments before she spoke again. "Do you come here every night?" she asked.