Chapter 5

First stop tonight was the grocery store. I was not going to go another day without a caffeine kick.

I walked into the nearest Shop Mart, a medium sized grocery store that was near town. To the person that's completely unfamiliar to night life, the store would feel a little peculiar. The fluorescent lights somehow gave a zombie-like appearance to everyone at night, but in the morning, they seemed different. At night, instead of playing the friendly, soft oldies music like they did in the morning, they played alternative punk rock. The people walking around the store at night usually wore dark clothing, with hoods drawn up or fingerless gloves on their hands. It was peculiar. But it was ordinary to me.

I made my way into the aisle where the coffee bean cans were shelved. Walking down the aisle and fingering each label, I finally found the beans that I loved: Starbucks Breakfast Blend Coffee. It was the best, fast to make and perfect to start off my mornings. It was a bit pricey, but it was worth it. I'd rather have to drink only one cup of coffee in the morning and one at night rather than have to drink several cups throughout the day to keep me awake. Because I didn't use it as often, it lasted me longer. I also decided to splurge and buy the Espresso Blend, just because I wanted to test how to make lattes and cappuccinos.

Satisfied with my coffee beans, I wheeled my grocery cart to the cereal section to find some breakfast foods. Scratching my chin, I analyzed my selections.

I could go with the generic plain Cheerios, because those went so well with the coffee. But they added no extra flavor whatsoever. Or I could go with something sweet and chocolatey, like Cocoa Puffs or Reese's Puffs. But then that would be too much sweetness and I wasn't the biggest chocolate fan. No, Honeynut Cheerios would have to be the way to go. Those were both sweet and nutritious.

"Honeynut Cheerios? Really? You're going to go with that?" I heard a voice say. I looked up from reading the box to where the source of the sound was. My eyebrows shot up when I found it. It was Caleb, from earlier that morning.

"Umm...yes?" I replied.

"That's such an old people's cereal," he commented, striding towards me. I cocked an eyebrow at him.

"And how is that?" I asked.

"Well, for one thing, it talks about cholesterol on the very front of the box. In big letters, might I add," he said.

"Well, pardon me for wanting to be healthy," I said.

"If you ask me--" he started.

"Which I didn't--" I mumbled.

"You should get something fun that will brighten up your day," he continued.

"Please continue to tell me your suggestions which I obviously will not take," I said, feeling slightly annoyed. Who was this guy? Trying to question my breakfast choices; the nerve of him!

Ignoring my little snide remark, he continued.

"Well, for example, you could choose Lucky Charms. I mean, look at the face on this guy. So mischievious!" he said, holding out a box of the marshmallow cereal to me.

"No thanks. I think marshmallows and cold milk are a horrible idea," I said, setting it on the shelf again.

"Well, what about Count Chocula?" he asked, thrusting a box of chocolatey cereal at me.

"Too much sugar," I replied, handing it back. He rolled his eyes at me.

"Ok, don't tell me you hate Kix, too?" he asked, holding up the orange box. I fought back a smile. He was definitely persistent. I took the box from him.