Chapter 5

I fell to my knees from shock, my head swirling.

"This can't be possible…" I said.

"It is, look at her…it's disgusting, this is why she didn’t want to swim." Skyler said above me.

            Standing up I grabbed her and pushed her all the way back to the fence around the pool and held her there filled with anger. I let her go once I gained control again and walked back to the pool where Val was under the water, refusing to come up. I splashed the water's surface hoping she would come up.

"Val, please come up, I want to talk." I said hoping she could hear me.

"What are you doing Andrew? She is a freaking Mermaid! Why are you trying to talk to her, why aren’t you running or calling the police or fainting from shock?!" Skyler screeched.

"Because I like her! She is my friend, and you! You are a terrible person!" I said as I took my shirt and glasses off.

"What are you doing?" Skyler said grabbing my arm.

"If she won't come to me, I'm going to her!" I said ripping my arm from her grasp, jumping into the pool.

            I was under; opening my eyes I could make her out, I swam towards her but she swam away.

"Val, I am not going to hurt you. Please, don't be scared." I said above the water.

            Her eyes popped out from the water at the shallow end. I swam towards her and she didn’t move away. I could stand, and I looked at her, amazed by what I was seeing. I could see the fear and pain in her eyes though.

"Don't be afraid." I said holding out my hand. She didn’t take it.

 I walked over to the stairs and sat down and waited for her to come to me. Val slowly swam over to me, and sat down next to me. Still shocked by what I was seeing, I had the urge to touch her tail, but I knew that if I did that she would swim away.

"Hey." I said with a smile.

"Hey…" Val said quietly.

"I don't hate you, or think you are a freak if that is what you are worried about." I said meeting her eyes.

"Thanks, but no one, not even my parents know about this. No one does, well besides you and Skyler. Skyler! Get your ass over here now!" Val yelled at Skyler.

"Coming, you don't have to be so pushy!" Skyler said as she walked over slowly.

"You may have exposed me but you are also exposed. I should have known to. You aren't a Mermaid, but a Siren, aren’t you?" Val asked.

"You have no proof." Skyler said as she bent down with a sneer.

            I took that opportunity and pushed Skyler in the pool. With amazement she changed before my eyes too.

"Andrew get out! Run stay away from the water!" Val said with worry.

            Immediately I got out and backed away, I didn’t know why but I trusted Val.

"You are so dead!" Skyler screeched at Val.

"No, this is your fault." Val countered.

"I don't care, we aren’t in the ocean so none of those rules apply now, do they?" Skyler said revealing sharp teeth, like vampires, and her finger nails now looked sharp.

Her eyes were blazing red. Val swam swiftly to the deep end, and went to the bottom and then swan incredibly fast up and was out of the water, in the air, and heading towards the grass over the fence. She hit the ground, but it didn’t sound hard, and she started changing. Looking at Skyler who looked like a monster right now I grabbed my shirt and left the pool area. Walking over towards Val, she was obviously naked, so I put my shirt over her and turned as she covered up.