Chapter 6

On Monday I ran into Val in the morning and couldn’t help but smile when I saw her, and neither could she, which surprised me.

"Hey." I said with a side smile.

"Hey, so I still can't believe you know…I mean I am so happy someone knows, because I am dying to talk to someone about it, but it is still weird." Val said.

"Yeah, I still can't believe it all, and Skyler too…" I remembered.

"Yeah…I should have figured though, I feel so stupid, I really should have known." Val said shaking her head.

"Don't beat yourself up about it." I said.

"Yeah, so I've decided you get one question a day to ask me about whatever you want to know." Val said, which shocked me, but made me happy because that meant she trusted me.

"Alright, I will have to think about what I want to ask..." I said as the bell rang.

"See you later, and don't over think the question you want to ask." Val said as she waved goodbye.

            I thought about what I could possibly ask her, and a million things flew threw my head…I couldn’t decide on just one, it was impossible! She said that she was adopted and stayed with her other family on the weekends. She said that Sirens and Mermaids were different and didn’t get along…and she said she was afraid of the ocean…why? That is a good question to ask…but it wouldn’t answer too much…

            All morning I was distracted by trying to come up with a question to ask, and I couldn’t ask her at lunch since it was advisory lunch…I would have to ask her at the end of the day…which was going to drive me crazy!

"Andrew, why are you so distracted?" Mr. Wildman asked at lunch.

"No reason, just thinking that's all…" I lied.

"Okay, well you guys can go, but Andrew would you stay behind?" Mr. Wildman asked.

"Sure, what's up?" I casually asked.

"Apparently all morning you have been distracted, and I was just wondering if everything is alright?" Mr. Wildman asked with concern.

"I'm fine really, I just am …"

"Is it Val?" Mr. Wildman interupted, and my eyes went wide.

"What? Why would it be about Val?" I asked quickly.

"Ron told me that you and Val are dating…and maybe something happened between you two…?" Mr. Wildman attempted to ask.

"No, nothing like that, but no I mean, we are, no…I uh…" I stuttered.

"I told Val to come over here when she was done with lunch, so you might as well relax and wait for her." Mr. Wildman stated.

I Hate Ron. Why can't he just mind his own business? Speak of the devil; he was walking over with Val.

"Here you are." Ron told Val, pulling out a chair for her.

"So Andrew here has been really distracted all morning, and Ron told me that you two were dating, and Andrew here is a little flustered and won't really speak. Do you know why he might be distracted Val?" Mr. Wildman asked eyeing Val.

"No, I don't know, well…oh! Andrew, I told you not to over think it. It's just a question." Val pointed out.

"Yeah, but I can't choose which one, there are so many." I admitted.

"Mr. Wildman, we can take it from here." Val assured as Mr. Wildman nodded to leave us alone.

"So just ask me anything, it isn’t that hard." Val stated.

"Fine, so why are you afraid of the ocean?" I exclaimed.

"Because when I was little I watched Ariel and I became scared of sharks." Val laughed.

"Oh…and you still are?" I continued.

"Yes, I mean, I am frightened by them, but I admire them." Val replied.

"Oh, that's cool. So these potions you make…" I started.

"Yeah, I am actually working on one for you, so you can breathe underwater for twenty four hours…but it's kind of challenging." Val smiled.

"Seriously? So you can make potions for that? What else can you make them for?" I questioned.

"Many different things, too many to explain now, but some potions are for healing, others for strength, some for …well it gets a lot more complicated but you get the gist." Val explained.

"Do you think you will have your potion done by Friday?" I asked nonchalantly.

"Yeah, it will be done by then, if you want to see the world I live in..." Val played.

"I would love to." I smiled, and I think Val blushed.