THOSE WHO DIE ARE THE LUCKY ONES

She was taller than he was. Just by a few inches.  Her hair a wave of caramel and his a mop of mousy brown. "I've just seen two people, a girl, and a boy. They both look like teenagers."  I took the tip of my pen off the parchment of my old leather diary. I don't really know what was special about them, just that I needed to watch them. A small bag swung from her arm, and a rather large cylindrical bag was strapped to his back. It could be a tent. I leaned further out of the old motels' window.  It was a rotten place. Carpet molding, wallpaper peeling, and the bed would creak every time you move, but I was the only customer. I squint my eyes and stare at them. The girl points to the motel I'm in but doesn't turn around. You could tell that this motel hasn't seen people for months. None of the places on this street had. The old McDonalds, dark and desolate. The pub at the end of the road, no movement. The only life was the pair, and they were already out of my sight. I sighed and sat down on the slouchy armchair. No electricity. No light. No fire. Nothing. I was freezing, even in my puffed mesh coat. Even in my fluffy Ugg boots. Even in my several heat-tech tops. Cold. Slowly, I used my fingertips and grasp the edge of the chair's arm. to pull me up, to grab some food, some water. Anything to stop me from freezing. I couldn't feel my hands anymore. I bit my gums until I could taste blood. I pulled my hands out of my thin gloves and let the tears trickle down my cheeks. They were a dark purple. Black at the tips. And painful. Very painful. I knew what was coming. My legs were frozen. I couldn't feel them at all. It was sad my last view was of this shitty hotel room. But I shut my eyes, smiled and took a deep breath. Falling into the deep, dark abyss.

(Chai)