Chapter Five {Crimson Red}

Chapter Five

Crimson Red

Once Mrs. Cecilia's breathing returned to normal, she informed me that the price of the china I had broken would be taken from my pay- that amount being twenty-five dollars. I struggled to keep a straight face and veil my consternation. She then turned to the children and introduced me as their new nanny.

Clyde was not at all pleased.

"Really mother, you're giving us a black nanny? What will my friends think?"

My charmed expression melted away and I felt as if someone had slapped me.

Mrs. Cecilia's endearing smile dimmed, "Clyde, you shouldn't say such things."

"I won't, as long as you promise that when my friends come they won't see her," said Clyde.

"If it concerns you this much, I pr-" I blocked out her next word. My face burned and I turned my attention out the window. How badly did I want this opportunity? When I returned my focus to the others in the room Grace offered me a sympathetic smile. I couldn't muster up one to return.

Mrs. Cecilia left soon after. The children played with their toys on the floor while maids unpacked and put away luggage. I perched on the edge of a chaise, still indignant and humiliated. It was almost as if in that dreadful moment I was with Matthew again. I was self-aware, second best, the woman the public eye shouldn't see.

From my left, Grace approached and sat in the high-backed chair next to me. She offered me another smile and shrugged.

"I'm sorry. Clyde can be a horrible little boy at times." It was slightly difficult to understand her, for she owned a thick Russian accent.

I chuckled humorlessly.

"Do not pay him any mind. In another two months he goes away to boarding school in New York, so you won't see him long. Besides, your main charge is Christie." She inclined her head to the child running in my direction, a delighted grin brightening the child's face.

"Is it true?" Christie challenged as soon as she reached me.

My brows furrowed. "I don't kn-."

"-Clyde says you're brown because you eat too much chocolate!"

Her lips were pursed into a perfect, shocked 'O' and her eyes were wide with wonder. I couldn't help but chuckle at her expression of adorable envy. Envy, because to her I had the power to be chocolate. The chuckles quickly turned into laughter. There was no malice in her question, unlike her cousin. Christie did not yet understand that black was lesser, that it wasn't to be coveted.

To add to the hilarity, Christie lunged forward and grasped my arm. I let out a stunned cry as she sunk her tiny teeth into my skin. Disappointment flooded her face, and she backed away.

"Why don't you taste like it?" To all, she appeared dejected.

"I'm afraid that I'm not chocolate," I managed to reply, still greatly surprised.

"You should be," she answered mournfully. Clutching a procured teddy bear close, she stalked away.

As soon as the clock struck eleven pm I rushed up the stairs leading to my room. My head was spinning and I longed to hide somewhere safe and quiet. It was childish but nonetheless I desired it.

Anna met me halfway up the steps. "I heard about your meeting with Mr. Clarence Blackstone," she giggled.

"Oh goodness, please don't remind me. That is the first and last time something like that will ever happen to me." I sighed, exhausted. "I felt like a simpering, clumsy idiot."