Chapter 6 - Off the Grid (Part 2) V2.0

The next morning the two lovers reveled in each other's warmth for a few minutes. Finally, Johnny got up and went outside to use the outhouse. He came back into the cabin, removed the largest cooking pot from the pantry and went outside again to fill the pot up with water from the well. When he came back into the cabin he put the pot on the wood stove. The topless Kimi was sitting up in the bed watching him with amusement. He said with a pleasant leer. "Are you trying to distract me?"

"No, I'm just trying to figure out what you are doing?"

He lit the fire in the stove, closed the firebox door and said. "In about 20 minutes that's our morning bath unless you like it cold." Johnny then started to make a pot of coffee. He looked to the date on the can and said aloud. "Not even expired yet, thanks again Gramps."

Johnny looked at his friend, smiled and said. "Babe, after we get cleaned up, why don't we hit the road. We'll find a quiet little café and I'll buy you breakfast.

"Sounds good, I think I can make it that long, but you know what happens when you don't feed me!"

"Do I ever!"

They drank their coffee and took turns taking what amounted to a sponge bath using the pot of warm water on the stove. She said as they were dressing. "This is okay for now, but we'll have to come up with something better."

While drying his damp hair, Johnny answered. "On our way out, I'll fill the solar shower and hook it up on its post in the sun. By this afternoon, it will be plenty hot. It's more or less a real shower, but there's only two gallons." He continued. "I saw a propane camp shower in a catalog a while back. We'll see if we can pick one of those up at an Army-Navy surplus or camping store. I'll add it to our shopping list."

Kimi finished dressing. She put on one of the last of the clean motorcycle logo shirts. Johnny looked at himself in a small mirror on the wall and said. "I look like shit. I had better shave."

"No," she said with authority. "I think that the Seattle grunge band guitarist look should help out with your disguise. If we had any electricity, you could just get an electric trimmer and always maintain three to four days growth. I think that you'll look great, and different."

Johnny smiled and said. "As it turns out, Gramps did put in a small solar power station. There's a solar panel on the roof which charges a couple of car batteries. It has a small inverter. Just enough juice to power a radio, charge a cell phone, etc. But it should be plenty to charge an electric razor for my new look. I like it. We'll make sure it's turned on when we set up the solar shower."

"Sounds like the old man thought of just about everything."

"Yeah and by the way, why didn't you ever ask me to try the Grunge look before?"

"Because we've never been on the run from the mob, and I selfishly don't want to feel a stubbly beard on my neck or inner thighs..." She said with an evil smile.

"You are a very bad girl!"

She tied up her pony tail and sighed. "Babe, I know how much you love my long hair, but it has to go too."

"You think?"

"Yeah, while you go Grunge and get shaggy, I'm goin' a little more punk. We'll cut it real short and spiky and dye it blonde, and I mean real blonde."

"You'll look great."

"Thanks and you know that I'm going to cry when we cut it off, I've been growing this since I was ten."