Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Jack and Thorne stood behind pillars watching five guards posted at the exit; unintentionally standing right above the sewer system they had used to enter the edifice. They knew it wouldn't be easy getting Ameel wouldn't be easy, but they hadn't expected it to be extremely difficult. 

The guards surrounded the door and stood in a circle over the sewer. There were more guards than they had expected there to be and their previous plan wouldn't work. 

"We're going to have to reveal ourselves. Either way we go, they're going to know we were here. If we stay until the next shift where this exit is unblocked, someone could chance upon us. If we go in and fight, more guards will be alerted before we have the chance to escape." Jack thought for a moment. "I'll cause a distraction, while you run for it." 

Thorne spun around, furious. "No." 

"Listen. We need to get Ameel out of here. This is our only chance. We've gone over it already, right? Ameel comes first, so you run and get her out of here." 

"No." Thorne said again. "The plan's changed. There's too many of them. What do you think will happen if you stay and fight them all on your own? It's suicide! I'm not going to run while my best friend dies for our sake." 

"Why are you so sure I'm going to die?" Jack asked only slightly offended. 

"Because you will." A soft voice spoke. 

Jack and Thorne looked down at Ameel who was smiling up at them. 

"Still fighting over whose better?" She chuckled a little. 

"Oh, we know whose better." Thorne said with a smirk that earned him a glare from Jack. 

"I can cause the distraction." 

"No offense Little Sister, but you're pretty beaten up. Even I would stand a better chance than you at this point." 

Ameel scowled at him and decided it would do him good to be shown up. "Just watch." 

Amelia closed her eyes and focused on the energies around her. Five guards approximately thirty yards from them. She willed herself to relax and allowed the remnants of her energy to gather itself. Her body tingled, her mind expanded.  

She was no longer in Lazarus's building. She stood in a large room with bare white walls and seven orbs of light. Two shone brightly, Jack and Thorne's, while five were consumed in darkness, the guards'. Slowly, structures filled themselves in, but with the same bare white and sketchy lines. It was an exact replica of the building, the space and structures perfectly executed. All she needed to do was will the new images to show themselves in her world. 

Three figures appeared on the opposite side of where Jack and Thorne stood, directly to the left of the men. Amelia didn't need the figures to be detailed so she left them as vague outlines similar to their own. She knew the guards would be alerted by only this much. 

Amelia opened her eyes and found Jack and Thorne staring at her curiously. 

"There." 

"What did you -?" 

Footsteps sounded on the floor where the guards had stood. Jack and Thorne looked up in time to see three of them heading towards three vaguely familiar shadows. 

Ameel pictured the adjoining room and willed the shadows to move there, making the guards follow. 

"How in god's name -"Jack's mouth was agape. 

"Now's not the time. Take out the two guards and follow me through the sewers." Thorne commanded him. 

Two knives slunk out of Jack's jacket and into his hand. He ran out from behind the pillars to the first guard closest to him and, having surprise on his side, stuck the knife into his throat before he could react. The second wasn't so easy.