Chapter Twenty-Seven

Jesse

"Here it is," said Professor Dupre. She was hunched over a pile of books, reaching behind the stack. She muttered a spell under her breath and pulled out the Book of Darkness from her hiding spot.

She turned and held the book in her hands, the white cover gleaming in the light. It was still in pristine condition. With every step towards me I could see the glimmer of the lights in the room reflecting on the surface of the book. It was nearly blinding. Taking another look at Professor Dupre, I could see every bit of her age as well as what she'd been through all these years to protect our secret.

"I've kept it safe for you, wondering all these years when you would come back for the book," as she handed me the book, the book's tendrils of power caressed me as though I were a familiar lover. The thick book was intimidating and gave off a powerful aura. It wasn't like the Book of Light, where I felt a small pulse of energy wafting off of it. I wondered if this is what Mason meant when he told me that he felt a strong aura from the Book of Light.

The Book of Darkness called to me. It was reaching for me, every moment in my hands like an enchantment getting stronger. 'Hello, old friend, I know you recognize me. Another lifetime, another purpose. Who am I going to end this time?'

"I don't know yet," I responded.

Mason gave me a weird look. "Who are you talking to?" It clicked into my head that Mason couldn't hear the book speaking

"It's the book. I can hear it speaking to me." I said to him. He looked concerned.

"What's wrong?"

"The Book of Darkness is speaking to you, and you can hear it. I don't know if that's something to be scared of or if it's something that can help us." His voice was soft at the end of his sentence. I looked at his face, lined with worry for me. It made me love him all the more.

I leaned up and wrapped my arms around his neck. I pressed my lips against his and then pulled away, looking into his eyes. "I love you," I said softly, "Nothing is going to change that."

"Please be careful, last time around didn't end so well for you," Professor Dupre asked softly.

"We will," I replied. He nodded, as if willing himself to believe it too.

++++++++++++++++

Back in my room, Mason sat on my bed, his large frame filling up most of the space on the bed, compared to my more slender body. I placed the white book, the Book of Darkness, on the bed. It still called to me, even now with Mason so present with me. At this moment all I wanted was to grab hold of Mason and make love to him, but we had business to attend to at this moment.

Mason reached into his backpack, pulling out the black book, the Book of Light and placed it by the Book of Darkness...

"Matty, where are we going?" I asked. He was acting weird. My hand was in his, his warmth flowing through my body. He felt familiar, comforting, and it was everything that I'd always wanted ever since I'd begun to realize that I was in love with him. His energy, usually calm, was very distracted, erratic. He was nervous, but about what?

"Just follow me, we need to ensure something. Now that we've hidden the books, we need to ensure that we will defeat him." I knew in that moment, what he was planning. We'd discussed this before, but never really agreed. Now knowing what we were going up against, I agreed with him, this was going to be a necessary step that we needed to take to ensure our success in defeating Lorenzo.

We made it to our safe place, under the whispering tree. The great trunk of the tree acting as a magical conductor. It was a scared place, and we needed to use it. It's abilities were great,and allowed for magical knowledge to be stored there.

The green leaves were falling, turning colors as they fell. Mason and I sat underneath the sturdy branches of the tree, hoping that this would work. We needed this to work. We held hands, forming a circle with our arms. We felt the energy connecting us strengthen with the presence of the whispering tree's power.

"Great tree of wisdom,

Hear our prayers,

Store our memories,

For our future selves to share"

With the incantation spoken and our combined magic, I felt the tree's vines and branches encircle us, infusing itself with our memories. The memories flashed before my eyes as they passed from us to the tree. I could see my time here at Jenkins, the friends I'd made, the magic I'd learned, and all of the time I'd spent with Matty. He was in almost every single memory, and I was thankful for it. His strength was what kept me pushing through all of the things that have gone on.

In my memories, I could see what spells we were planning to use as well as the face of our horrid opponent. His face, although innocent looking, held a great darkness and showed no empathy for others. He was sick and twisted with his obsession with purifying his death powers to rule all others. The professors knew they could not do anything about him, only Matty and I had the power and the ability to overcome him and stop him and his powers...

Mason and I woke from the memory with a gasp. We knew who it was now, the person who was responsible for the deaths on campus, and once again it was time for us to confront him. 

====================================

Author's Note:

I've decided to break up a chapter, so with this chapter finished, there are three left and an epilogue. Stay tuned the best parts are yet to come!!

Much love, 

Stephen Than (The Purple Queen)

My Instagram is: the_purple_queen_writes