Chapter Twelve

Monday morning came slowly. Even as a ghost, I was in a mood that only Monday can give.

I groaned into the window of Jay's car. My head was aching like no tomorrow and I was starting to feel a high level of anxiety now that the week of my deadline had officially started.

"Kelly, don't worry. It'll be all okay soon, I promise." Meredith cooed soothingly from the backseat. Jay just made a face and didn't bother comforting me.

"Yeah," I moaned again, "but I still have to go to freaking school with you guys!"

Jay rolled his eyes. "Get over it."

I stuck my tongue out at him as we pulled into Hudson's parking lot. It cued yet another eye roll from him.

I busted out laughing as we got out of the car. "We probably should've thought about seating arrangements before Meredith Dunne got out of your backseat when 'no one' is sitting up front."

Sure enough, there were people pointing and whispering and Meredith, Jay, and I walked into the building. I understood though, if I had been in their shoes, I would've been pretty shocked to say the least. Meredith and Jay were pretty much opposites.

Jay shot a menacing glare at a id who made a comment a bit too loudly. After the guy all but shit himself, it made everyone else at least pretend to not notice anything.

Since I was still pretty grumpy, I decided spending the day with Meredith was my best option. We broke off from Jay and went to her locker. I groaned loudly again when I saw where it was, though.

Angie and Sean were leaned up next to Meredith's locker, kissing passionately.

"Ew, can't they get a room?" I said in disgust. "I mean, everyone knows he was just dating me and that's my 'best friend'."

"Well," Meredith slammed her locker shut, "I don't think they ever really cared anyway, to be honest."

I opened my mouth to respond when Angie broke off from Sean and turned to Meredith. "What the hell did you just say?"

Meredith squeaked in surprise. "O-o-oh, um, I-I wasn't talking to you!"

Angie narrowed her eyes. "Oh yeah, then who were you talking to?" She crossed her arms, her stance towering menacingly over a trembling Meredith.

Meredith just opened her mouth and spewed out nonsense, which simply seemed to piss off Angie even more.

"Here I was thinking you were just that weird girl who sang to herself. But turns out you're kind of a bitch to. Don't you dare say anything about me and Sean again. Got it?" She pointed a perfectly manicured nail at Meredith's chest. "Believe me, hun. You'll regret my name ever coming out of your mouth."

My fists clenched in fury and Meredith nodded in terror. Angie smiled overly sweetly and turned back to Sean. She grabbed his hand and dragged him to class.

I turned to my visibly shaking friend. "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?"

"W-what did I do?!"

"Girl," I snapped my fingers in her face, "stick up for yourself! Angie is a bitch, yeah, but she's still human..." I looked at her expectantly.

"And that means...?" She looked at me, dumbstruck.

I threw up my hands. "Insecurities! Honey, Angie is as insecure as Jenny Killington is about her acne. People think that popular people are invincible but they aren't. I would've thought you'd realize that after getting to know me." I finished softly.

"But... Wouldn't calling out her insecurities make me know better than her?"

I frowned. "I never thought of it that way... But you can't just let her walk all over you. You're a way better person!" I clapped my hands together. "I got it!"