XII: First day of Ignorance

“Bye mom! Bye dad!” I shouted as I headed toward the door.

“Have fun at school, honey!” my mom shouted back.

“I will!” I looked back and waved.

I decided to call Dylan before I left for school, semi-hoping he would drive me to school. Ring. Ring. Ring. “The number you have reached is unavailable. Please-” Again. It happened again. The feeling of anger that arose in my stomach was surpressed. He wouldn’t be avoiding me. He’s too nice for that. He wouldn’t avoid me … unless he was mad about something?

I entered into the all too familiar school building. I went to my locker and organized my notebooks and binders. My thoughts couldn’t help but drift to this morning. Why didn’t he answer his calls? I’ll ask him later today.

“Hi Dylan!!” a girl shrieked. Right on cue. I closed my locker and turned to look in the direction of the shriek.

There he was in all his glory. He was dressed in a button down shirt that hugged his chest. Our eyes met and he gave me a small smile before smiling at the girl who squealed at him. Okay. I walked over and decided to ask him about this morning and the night before.

“Hi Dylan,” I said flatly.

“Hey babe. What’s up?” he replied in a tone that I haven’t heard in two months: The jock tone. He had a smirk on his face that I would usually find cute but today, I wanted to smack it off his face.

“ ‘What’s up?’ Oh, okay. I’ll tell you. Where were you this morning?”

“Can’t you see? I’m at school, baby,” he said smirking.

“What is wrong with you, Dylan? Why are you talking to me like this?” I asked softly. His face fell slightly before his act continued.

“Nothing’s wrong, baby. Just bein’ myself.”

“Dylan!” Maggie ran up to him and hugged him tight. “Baby, I missed you. How was your summer?” Then her eyes fell on me. “What are you doing here, nerd?”

“Nothing,” I said as I walked away. I turned to look back and regretted it. He was sucking face with Maggie right in front of me. Right in front of everyone. What the hell?

English. I spotted Dylan at his usual spot and I made my way over to sit next to him.

“Can I help you?” he asked a little bit too rudely.

“Yes, you may. Thanks for offering,” I stated. “What is up with you?”

“Nothing.”

“Doesn’t seem like nothing to me,” I said glaring. “Why are you treating me like this?” Chairs scraped against the floor behind me. “Dylan?” I asked again.

“What, baby? You got the hots for me or something?” he said smirking.

“Dylan? What is up with you-”

“Ooooh! Nerdy Abby’s got the hots for Dylan!” the boy behind me yelled across the room. I turned to look at him and he, too, was smirking.

“Ugh, whatever,” I said as I relocated to the other side of the room. I’m not letting something as trivial and mundane as this faze me. I had to focus on school.

“How was school, honey?” my mom asked as I entered the house.

“Fine,” I said flatly. My mom looked up and gave me the ‘you can’t hide anything from me’ look. I swear, mom’s are psychic. “I’ll tell you about it later, mom. I can handle it.” She nodded and waved me off.

Ring. Ring. Ring. “The number you have reached is unavailable. Please-” Of course. I placed my phone on the desk (quite angrily, I must add) and started doing my homework.

The next day.

“Hey, baby,” Dylan said from next to me. I could almost sense the smirk in his tone of voice. I turned to look at him. Yep. He was smirking alright.

“Hi,” I said flatly. “What are you doing here?” I seethed.

“Well, baby, I said wherever you’re at, I’ll be there, didn’t I?”

“Uh huh. I’m pretty sure that was before you started acting like a dick.” I stood up from the lunch table and started walking away. I couldn’t however, because a certain foot intertwined with mines and I fell flat on the floor. I got up and turned to look at the culprit. Dylan looked surprised for a moment before his face resumed the facetious smirk it had before. I fought back tears as I glared at him before walking away. Remembering something, I turned around and walked back.

“Dylan,” I said flatly. “I just have to know one thing. Did the summer not mean anything to you? At all?” He looked taken aback and then shook his head ‘no’. “Okay. Bye.”

“Dude! She’s a crazy stalker! You should get someone to get her for you!” I heard someone say as I walked away.

“No, it’s fine. She doesn’t bother me,” I heard Dylan say.

“How did you even survive a summer with her? She’s so weird, dude!” And that was all I heard of their conversation as I slid out of the lunchroom.

The next day, I spent the lunch period in the library. I didn’t want to see Dylan or anybody. The other days were spent in the library as well. I didn’t need anybody else. I was fine by myself. It was a mistake to trust Dylan. It was a mistake to get close to anyone. The only way you can get hurt is if you get too close to someone, and that’s exactly what I did. It would be best if I just forgot about that summer, if I forgot about Dylan. It would be best if I just went back to being Abby the nerd. Not knowing Dylan or his story was better than knowing it and being treated like this.

From today onward, Dylan Rivers and Abigail Ryan are strangers. It’s better this way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you think Dylan's avoiding her? Vote and comment! Follow for updates! Thanks for reading!