Reckless - Chapter Twenty-Three

I hope you enjoy reading! This was a really exciting chapter to write. ^^ 

R E C K L E S S . . . 

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE-

Suddenly the whole clearing was alight with flickering, bright fire as Jev sprung to his feet. His bindings fell off as if they had never been tied and I saw the snapped edges were dark and burnt. Everything was illuminated in a hazy orange light, including the fear that was evident on Alex and Kyle’s faces.

The vampire hunters took a step backwards.

“What did you do with her?” I shouted at the two supernaturals over the noise; the roaring of the fire, the rustling of the trees as birds erupted out of them in terror, the fitful wind that blew through their leaves.

“Who?” Dan enquired, raising an eyebrow.

“You know who.”

“I don’t say we do,” Jev commented lightly, turning his head to look at Dan and displaying a similar look of vague indifference.

“Mrs Court - the teacher? The poor woman that you’ve been torturing,” I said through gritted teeth.

The only thing I could think of doing was stalling the two for long enough till someone – preferably Mort, though I wasn’t in the position to be that picky at that moment – noticed the fire and came running to help. Until then the best I could do was try and find out as much about what had happened to Mrs Court.

Dan prowled towards me. The look in his eyes told me that he wanted desperately to shift into his bear form but I knew that he wouldn’t until we were done talking. “Oh, that old bat?” he said offhandedly.

“You nearly killed her; don’t sound so damn flippant about it. Now I’m going to ask you again: what have you done with her?”

“Now that someone called 999 to fetch her, we’ve had to deal with it. We can’t allow her to be found, because otherwise there will be a whole investigation – so we’ve had to shut her up,” Jev told me, a hint of menace in his smooth voice. “You shouldn’t have called that ambulance, Anne.”

“What? Are you doing Chris’s dirty work now? He couldn’t be bothered to come here himself so he made you come back and do it? He’s got you under his thumb.”

The fire around us flickered brighter and brighter until looking at it was unbearable and I had to squeeze my eyes shut to keep the blinding light out of them. Bright imprints of flames still remained in the darkness when I closed my eyes, the image burnt into my pupils.

They laughed at me, their voices ringing out over the crackling of the flames and echoing around the woods till they were filled with the sounds of Dan and Jev’s fearsome laughter.

“What are you doing?” Alex shouted at them, though in my opinion it was perfectly obvious what they were doing, seeing as they’d basically told us and we’d seen them leap up a minute ago.

“I’m giving this place some light,” Jev said amiably. When I dared to glance up at him I saw the twisted smile on his face and the flames mirrored in his dark eyes.

The flames dimmed down as Alex threw himself forwards and punched Jev square in the face. There was a horrible crunching sound as they hit each other, and then I heard Jev let out a scream of pain.

Dan lunged forwards and ripped Alex off of Jev, but then Kyle joined the fray. The three guys, with Dan being considerably stronger than the other two, rolled about on the muddy floor while Jev rubbed his face.