Reckless - Chapter Nine

Sorry for the long wait. On average it’s not as long as a wait as usual, though. ;) Vote, comment and give me some feedback please!

(the song on the side is completely amazing, please listen to it if nothing else)

R E C K L E S S . . . 

CHAPTER NINE-

I spent the rest of the week pretending to be ill. I couldn’t bear to face Alex after what I had told him, or even any of Blake’s friends, and I really didn’t want to see Chris at all.

Regretfully, however, I could not pretend to be sick forever. On Wednesday morning I soon found the school nurse stood by my bed, looking down at me with a look which clearly said she’d had enough.

“Get up, Miss. Forbes,” she said briskly, putting her hands on her plump waist and giving me an austere look through her bright blue spectacles. “You cannot possibly be that ill. You’ve been in bed for a week and there’s been nothing wrong with you that I can see.”

I moaned dramatically and rolled over in my bed so she couldn’t see my face. “But I feel terrible, Mrs. Turner.”

“We both know that that’s not the case,” she replied. “Now get out of bed and go to your lessons.”

There was no use in arguing with Mrs. Turner - from what she lacked with her small size she made up with an extreme temper. Sitting up slowly I surveyed my bedroom - Claire and Sam’s beds were uninhabited, with sheets scrunched up in messy piles and a disarray discarded pillows; they had obviously already gone down to breakfast without me, thinking I was going to get the day off again.

“I expect to hear that you’ve been going to your lessons today,” the nurse continued, looking disdainfully at the mess in the room. “Or I’m going to give you a detention.”

“That’s not fair!” I exclaimed loudly, forgetting my pretence to be ill and staring at her with disbelief. “I’m ill!”

She smiled grimly at me. “As I’ve said before, Miss. Forbes, we know that that’s not true. If you are too ill to go to your lessons then you will simply go see me in my office and I’ll decide that for you,” she said authoritatively before turning away and sweeping out of the room without another word.

As soon as the clicking sounds of her heels on the floor faded away I sunk back down in my bed and huddled into the covers, not wanting to get up at all. I half considered just locking the door and going back to sleep but I knew that it would be pointless – Mrs. Turner meant it when she said she’d give me a detention if I didn’t turn up to class. It wasn’t like I was afraid of detention; I just had better things to do with my life than sit in a room for an hour doing nothing.

Instead of what I desperately wanted to do I left the warm covers of my bed and padded along the cold wooden floor, shivering at the temperature change. I changed into my school shirt and black v-neck, thankful for the warmth that they gave me, then tugged on some tights and a skirt.

Taking my phone of the cluttered bedside table I glanced at the time and with a start realised that I had ten minutes to get to my first lesson.

Quickly I ran into the small bathroom and started to put my makeup on. I had just finished lining my eyes when I decided that it didn’t really matter what I looked like, I was just going to look like a complete mess anyway and it wasn’t like anyone important cared. I didn’t even bother to run a comb through my tangled hair; I simply turned and sprinted out the bathroom again.

In a rush I scooped up my jacket from the floor outside the door and slung my bag over my shoulder. I swung open the door and ran out into the hallway, shrugging on my jacket as I went.