A Demon's Desire: Preview (On Hold)

A Demon's Desire:Preview

  The silence was deafening, nerve wracking in its intensity. My stomach churned dangerously as a brief wave of nausea threatened to overwhelm me. My hands wrung nervously in my lap, my feet tapped tonelessly on the hardwood floor of his office and my bottom lip was sore from worrying it.

  “Care to repeat that?” My brother, Jax, glanced up sharply from the paperwork on his desk, one hand clenched tightly around the pen he had been writing with moments before. His dark eyes darkened even further in his shock, disbelief coloring his tone.

  I swallow. “I said, I'm pregnant, Jax.” I felt like crying, again, but fortunately the tears that wished to well in my eyes were all dried up from this morning. I felt like I hadn't had a thing to drink in weeks, months even, and all the crying I'd been doing lately wasn't helping matters.

  Jax rubbed at his forehead with his free hand, the other still wrapped around the pen. “Does Max know?” He asked, speaking of the boyfriend I had yet to see today. That was just another conversation I wasn't looking forward to having.

  My brother frowns when I shake my head. “It-it's not Max's.” Yet another thing that weighed heavily on my heart. Max and I had never even had sex before so there was no possible way it could be his child. And I didn't want to be there when he found out.

  His shock increased, but so did his anger. “Did someone rape you, Cass?” I shake my head again, lips trembling and the sudden onslaught of tears that watered my eyes surprised me.

  My brother was always concluding the worst, it didn't matter what the situation was. It was even worse with me, though. Our parents had died in a car crash when I was eight and ever since then Jax has been the one taking care of me, making sure none of the kids at school picked on me, buying me whatever I needed no matter how embarrassing it may have been for him.

  It was so tempting to let him believe I hadn't done anything wrong but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Not to the child growing inside me and certainly not to the child's father. No matter how much he scared me.

  “No, I wasn't raped.” And that was as far as I was willing to go with the conversation. I hadn't told the father yet and I wasn't entirely sure I was going to. It may be selfish but I just couldn't bring myself to face him, not now. I hadn't seen or spoken to him since that night two months ago and I didn't plan on doing so anytime soon.

  Jax wasn't so easily deterred, though. “So... you cheated... on Max?” I flinched at the question, though there was no recrimination in his voice. No matter how in the wrong I was Jax always took my side and that, that made me feel even worse. “Who is the father, Cassidy?”

  “It doesn't matter, Jax.” I whisper, forcing a smile at him over the mountains of paperwork on his desk. “I just wanted to let you know before I start getting fat.” I shrug, knowing the light tone I'd been hoping for fell far short of my goal.

  Confusion and disbelief mingled in his expression. “You're going to have the baby and not tell me who the father is? Cass, don't you think I'll find out sooner or later?”

  “No,” I feel nauseous all over again but for an entirely different reason. Telling Jax about the baby had probably been a mistake on my part. He wouldn't stop interrogating me now until he found out who the father was. I should have thought this through before I opened my mouth.