Chapter 5

~~Derek~~

A wave of warmth and sweet smells greeted me as I walked back through the familiar oak double doors. “Welcome home, Master Derek!”  I turned and smiled warmly at the group of my friends clustered together near the foot of the staircase.  Their original work suits and aprons had been replaced with more formal attire. My parents stood up briskly and pulled me into a snug, warm hug. “Welcome home, darling!”

“It’s wonderful to be back! I missed you both very much!”

My father clapped me on the back and took my scarf and hat from me. He signaled for Oscar to come and take them from him. The young man quickly took the articles and hung them carefully on the mantle to dry.

Suddenly a pair of soft, delicate arms wrapped around my waist. I looked down to find, Alice, our youngest worker, holding me tightly. She wore a light pink dress and her golden hair was pulled back into a tight ponytail and held in place by a matching pink ribbon.  “Hello Alice.” She continued to hold me, her face hidden in my stomach.  I placed my hands on her shoulders and tried to push her away so I could see her face. It was then that I realized that she was trembling. Instantly worry set in. “What’s wrong?”

Her older sister, Nina, stepped forward with obvious concern on her face. In spite of myself, I blushed. She wore a similar dress to her sister in a light blue shade which gave her equally blue eyes new life.  Her hair, which usually was pulled tightly into a bun away from her face, was pulled into a loose braid. She looked to me and then to her sister and spoke softly.

“Alice, what is it? Do you not feel well? Is your dress too tight,” she asked, placing a gentle hand on the young one’s shoulder.  At her sister’s touch Alice raised her head, revealing her face. Tears were streaming down and her eyes were red and swollen. “I-I missed you,” she managed with a loud ‘hic’.  I gave her a warm smile and stroked her blonde hair. “Is that all? You don’t have to worry anymore, I’m home now.”

Her arms tightened at my waist and she giggled.  The wonderful sound echoed to the ends of the room and everyone’s heart melted slightly. Nina crossed her arms and sighed. “What am I going to do with you? Making such a scene…” I smiled. “It’s fine. I’m not bothered by it.” She instantly gave me an apologetic look and gave a small curtsey returning to her formal role. “Welcome home, Young Master.” I returned the gesture and lifted Alice up and rested her on my hip. “Shall we dance, Milady?”

 I began to spin softly and she squealed with delight. We continued for a few moments before my mother stopped us. “Derek,” she said in a hurried whisper. “If you do not hurry, the food will get cold.” I started. I had almost forgotten about dinner. At the reminder my stomach responded with a loud and long growl that tickled my insides. “Oh! Food! Emma’s food!” I set Alice down and quickly walked over to the cook and clasped her hands in my own. “Emma’s wonderful food! We must eat now! Before it spoils!” She gave a slight laugh and curtseyed. “Right this way, Young Master.”  

The dining hall had been decorated just as beautifully as the previous room. Tall candles burned, sending their smokes spiraling to the ceiling at the center of the long table. A new tablecloth had been set out and my mother’s finest set of china sat carefully arranged in front of each of the chairs.

“I see that Nina has been working on her table setting skills,” I say with a smile. “Yes,” chimes my father. “She takes a great amount of pride in doing so.” I glance over at Nina who turns away quickly to hide the blush forming on her cheeks. “Don’t spoil her too much, Father.” He gave a slight chuckle. “You sound just like your mother.” We laughed and took our seats.

Emma, the cook and Nina and Alice’s mother, quickly began giving orders to the other servants in hushed whispers. They would give a nod of understanding and disappear into the kitchen. Nina was the first to return with a large pitcher filled with hot coffee and rolls of steaming bread lying on a small wheeled tray that she carefully pushed to each of us. My father was first. She filled a small cup with the hot liquid and set a bread roll on a smaller plate and gently placed that in front of him. “Would you like sugar in your coffee, sir?”  My father smiled. “I would. Two please.” She nodded and with a small pair of silver tongs, lifted two sugar cubes from a small bowl and plopped them into my father’s cup.

She made her way to my mother next. “And you Mistress?” My mother pulled her cup away before Nina could pour the coffee. “I’ll have wine, dear.” My father lowered his raised cup back to its plate. “Wine? Darling, are you sure that’s all right?” Mother’s cheeks flushed a bright red. “I’ll only have a little! Besides,” She placed her hand on my arm. “This is a special night.” Father sighed and waved his hand, dismissing the matter. “All right, but only a little.”

Nina stood at my mother’s side, confused. She pulled the coffee pot back and turned to me. “Would you like some coffee Der- Young Master?” I smirked and nodded. She poured me a cup and reached for her tongs. “Sugar?” I waved my hand as my father had. “None for me, thank you.” She backed away and curtseyed to us all and pushed her cart back to the kitchen.

We talked then. We talked of my studies, my friends, their families, the most recent rumor (courtesy of Mother). Father talked of money and politics and various other things. During our conversations the other three courses of our meal were brought out and we slowly cleared our plates.

After dinner we three sat in Father’s large library together. Father read another one of his thick books. Mother tended to her diary and I sat in the large red armchair. The servants had since been dismissed and many of them were sleeping. Those who remained awake were slowly drifting into drowsiness. That is all but two young girls.