Chapter 3

~~Derek~~

I sat in the small carriage and stared out the window at the snow falling gently from the clouds above. I sighed and smiled with contentment as I thought of my parents and of all the free time I would have to spend with them and my friends. 

"Young Master, are you all right? You've not said a word since we left London."

I turned to look at the man sitting across from me. He was an elderly man and one who had been serving my family since his teenage years.

"Yes, Bradford. I'm fine, just lost in my thoughts." 

"Happy thoughts I gather from the smile on your face."

I smiled wider and nodded. "Of course! I'm going to see my parents again and it's Christmas Eve!" I bounced a little in my seat. Bradford gave a small chortle.

"Still excited over Christmas at sixteen," he asked, teasing me.

"It's Christmas! Of course I'm excited!"

He laughed again and glanced out of his window.

"Ah! It looks like we're about to pull into your home." 

I quickly threw myself at my window. I could see the very tip of the rooftops. My heart raced with excitement as my home grew ever closer. 

I smiled as the carriage stopped and my driver, Bradford's son, Edward hopped down and opened the carriage's door. I stepped down onto the small steps and carefully jumped onto the snow covered ground. Nostalgia rushed through me as I gazed up at my home. 

It had been one full year since I left for London to study medicine and anatomy. Now as I stood just a few feet from the warmth and familiarity of home, I suddenly became nervous. 

Was everyone the same? How had they changed in the last year? Had I changed since I left? 

"Young Master?"

I was jolted out of my thoughts by Bradford who was holding my suitcase.

"Shall we go inside? It's not wise to stand out in the cold for too long."

I blinked a few times before his statement fully reached me. 

"Ah! Yes!" A quick surge of embarrassment ran across my face. I quickly forgot about it as I stepped up to the front door, following Bradford.