Chapter 8

Amy woke us up by knocking on Hayden's bedroom door. "Cover up in coming in!" She shouted. 

Hayden let out a very loud yawn and stretched as she sat on the side of his bed. "Listen kids." She smiled. "I made a dentist appointment for you," I said pointing to Hayden. "We're gonna get that tooth all fixed up." She then looked at me. "And you, we've got you a doctors appointment with at the pediatric clinic. Morgan is going to take you both today after school."

We nodded and she clapped her hands together. "Okay then get up. Get ready, school starts in an hour."

Hayden yawned again and rolled over facing me. He placed a soft kiss on the tip of my nose and smiled.

"Yuck!" I teased pushing him away. "Morning breath!"

He laughed and then got up. "No wait! Come back!" I cried. He shook his hips at me as he walked down the hallway.

"Oh baby!" I shouted. "Can I get a burger with that shake?"

"He gets his hips from his momma!" Amy yelled from the other end of the house.

These were the people I loved. This crazy cooky family. I could get used to this being my regular.

I jumped up and stepped into the bathroom with Hayden. He was brushing his teeth, I pushed me gently out of the way so I could start brushing mine. I quietly looked over the bruises on my neck. They were as noticeable as tattoos but somehow I thought Hayden wouldn't notice.

"You excited to get that tooth fixed?" I asked him jokingly. I was desperate to avoid the topic of Jake's previous rage fit.

He shrugged and then spit in the sink. "I kind of like the hillbilly look, don't you?" He asked.

"I say definitely," I nodded. "Save the money. Just keep it like that. It's a great conversation started. Like a really bad scar across your face. It's a battle wound." I began brushing my teeth as he nodded.

"You're totally right! Screw the dentist. Mom! I think I wanna just keep the missing tooth!" He yelled into the hallway.

"Not happening!" Amy shouted back.

We laughed and he wiped off his mouth. He placed a kiss on my temple and rushed out of the bathroom. I was thankful he left because I had to pee really bad. I quickly spit so I could relieve myself.

He was in the bathroom just as quickly as he left. "Excuse me?" I said from the toilet.

"Oh stop it." He laughed. "I'm sure I've seen you much worse." He ruffled his hair around in the mirror before shutting the door. I looked at him confused. "Babe," he started before kneeling down next to me.

I judged him away knocking him off balance and quickly finished my business. "What?" I asked him standing and pulling my underwear up with me. He jumped up and hugged me as tight as he could without breaking me.  "Promise me you'll never go back to him," he said squeezing me tighter.

"I won't," I said coughed to emphasize that I couldn't breathe. 

"No I mean it Hayley," he pulled away and looked me dead in the eyes. "Those bruises on your neck are nowhere near okay. What did he do?" He asked.