Chapter 7

Hayden must have needed to get something because when he got up off the couch it woke me up. He apologized and then walked back towards the kitchen. He wasn't very talkative; I wondered if he was still mad at me.

Or was he ever mad at me rather than just mad with me? My quick nap didn't feel like much of a nap.

"Are you ever going to talk to me again?" I asked him remaining on the couch.

I heard glass clink together which told me he was in the kitchen. He brought me a glass of water and a pink pill. I looked up at him confused and took the water.

"Vitamins," he said offering me the tablet again.

I took it from his palm and swallowed it. "Thanks," I was still slightly confused but at least he was being nice.

"I want you to be happy, I really do." He sat back down next to me but this time I didn't cuddle into him. I sat on the opposite side of the couch facing him. "But I also want you both to be safe and healthy."

"Hayden I can defend myself," I sighed shaking my head.

"Maybe now," he started. "But not when you're 6 months pregnant? Your baby can't defend itself? Hayley why are you being so stupid?" His voice was starting to raise again. I didn't feel like he was angered, I felt like he was frustrated.

I didn't like feeling vulnerable. And right now I was feeling very vulnerable. Hayden was pointing out everything that would go wrong and making me feel like an idiot. I already knew I was an idiot.

"Why don't you understand that he's a monster? He'll end up abusing this baby if he doesn't kill it before it's born." he shouted and then his voice softened quickly before saying: "He's crazy Hayley."

I wanted to give him a good answer. I wished I had a reason, but I didn't. I just wanted to do the politically correct thing of involving the father. Jake already knew I was pregnant; I couldn't really hide the child from him at this point.

"Hayden I at least need to talk to him," I said. "And I'll get it over with today if that makes you feel better."

He rolled his eyes with a heavy sigh "Yeah," he murmured. "Let's get it over with today." With that he stood up and went to his room to get dressed. I followed quickly behind and pulled on the jeans I was wearing yesterday. Hayden was wearing grey skinny jeans that he had cut off at the knee and a white volcom t-shirt.

"You're just going to wear my shirt?" He asked as I was putting on my shoes.

I nodded, "If that's okay?"

"Well I wouldn't want your boyfriend thinking that we hooked up or anything." Hayden was being dramatic as he did best.

I rolled my eyes at him and let out a long sign. "Jake is not my boyfriend," I growled. "Or at least I don't think he is. I don't really know what he is right now. What I do know is that he is the father of my baby and that's enough for me."

I could tell I was really irritating him at this point and I honestly just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. "Are you going to take me? Or should I start walking?"

I watched anger light up in his eyes. I never would have been so disrespectful to Jake; I knew better than that. Hayden was a different kind of man. I don't know what came over me I felt like I was intentionally hurting him to see if he would react. He was too perfect and I couldn't handle that right now. I knew I needed to involve Jake in the decisions I was making for our baby, but I also knew Hayden was right. I knew Hayden would have made a much better father, and I knew Hayden would have taken great care of us. But I couldn't just ignore the fact that this baby wasn't Hayden's; it was Jake's.