Chapter Nine

Despite her attempts to think of anything but the dance, Summer found herself distracted up until it was time to get ready. She hadn't seen Decker since their last dance, and she couldn't help the doubt that grew in her. Decker had never said anything about liking her, but he'd helped her at dinner and danced with her.

Beck hadn't done those things. And yet, the thought of dancing with Beck the way she danced with Decker thrilled her.

"No, no, you have to wear your hair down," Biji instructed.

Summer glanced at her friend. Biji wore an exotic Indian sari in brilliant oranges and reds. Her long, dark hair had been brushed to a sheen and rippled like black silk.

"You look like a doll," Summer said, admiring her friend.

Biji beamed. "Maybe Decker will go and maybe he'll dance with me."

"You have a one-track mind!" Summer laughed.

"You look great, Summer," Biji said, hunching beside her to see into the mirror on the back of the door. "Except your hair."

Summer looked at herself, unconvinced. She'd cleaned the soft pink dress. It was a baby-doll style that emphasized her breasts and slender waist before flowing over her hips. Washing it had caused it to shrink more than she liked. The hem of the dress was halfway up her thighs. She'd worn her sandals, the only shoes she had that didn't clash too loudly with the dress. They were old and looked it. Her gaze swept over her body and lingered on her shoes.

Biji had painted her toe and fingernails a bright pink.

"You think it should be down?" Summer asked.

"Definitely." Biji pulled a chair from the corner and placed it before the mirror. She grabbed Summer's brush and comb.

Summer sat. Her hair was still damp. Biji unwound it from the tight bun Summer had put it in before working out the knots with her comb.

"You have hairspray?" Biji asked.

"No."

"I might have some."

Summer watched Biji in the mirror as she dug through a large handbag. It looked pricey, like the bags Summer saw displayed in the windows of the expensive stores at the mall. Biji pulled out a travel-size hairspray and proceeded to redo Summer's hair into soft waves.

"One more thing then we're ready," Biji said. She rifled through her bag again and pulled out a thick silver belt. "I thought your dress needed something else."

"Why are you being so nice?" Summer asked, struck by her friend's actions.

"That's what friends do," Biji said nonchalantly, wrapping the belt around her body.

Summer's throat tightened.

"Haven't you ever ..." Biji stopped. "You've never had a friend before?"

"Not a nice one."

Biji laughed.

"Thank you, Biji," Summer said. "I've never had a friend like you before. This place is like a dream to me. I can't believe I'm here."

"I'm glad you're here. I can't imagine your life if you think dealing with Dawn is good," Biji said. "Ready?"

"No."

"Come on! You've got a date waiting for you!"

Summer smiled. She looked at herself again, patted Tarzan then trailed Biji down the stairs. Her heart sank some to see Dawn and her friends waiting in the lobby for the van. Dawn and her friends wore their expensive, revealing dresses and high heels, and they carried small evening bags. Their make-up was heavy and flawless.