chapter 2

The world is always full of weird people. And for Mellie, Phyjie was probably the weirdest creature she had ever seen.

                On their whole trip, Phyjie was smiling an everything-is-so-perfect-and-I-could-not-ask-for-more smile. Whatever the reason was, Mellie would probably not know…yet. As for Phyjie, well, her morning was incredibly perfect!

                She sighed after remembering the things that happened to her that morning…

                She was sitting on the table’s chair while dreamily putting grapefruits in her mouth. Her stares were focused somewhere—somewhere that the Squalls, her foster family, could never see and had never seen even for their sixteen years of being together.

                “Hey, sis. We’re going now,” said her older brother, Marcus, as he lugged their mother’s suitcase.

                Phyjie just nodded. With a smile.

                Remus, Marcus’s twin, let out a leave-her-in-her-dreamland chuckle. “C’mon, Marcus. Mom and Dad are waiting.”

                “Yeah, yeah. You take care, then, baby girl.”

                Then, they set off to the family car for their family vacation. Unfortunately, since the Chantris School of Music and Arts chose Phyjie as one of their Centennial Musical’s crafters, she had to stay home. They just never knew that Phyjie was glad about it.

                Mr. and Mrs. Squall came rushing in with their usual sunny faces. They embraced Phyjie with the hug that she had always loved. Then, after some goodbyes and take-cares, they drove away.

                Phyjie drank her last gulp of hot chocolate, wiped the stains away from her lips, and took her red backpack to put it on. She was ready to go to her first job for the musical. She tightened her burgundy sweater around her demure body as she had almost stepped her feet kept inside a pair of crimson sandals on the doorstep when a loud thud sounded upstairs. She ignored it, thinking that it was just probably their huge cat playing around with her favorite hairball. However, when she banged the entrance door close behind her, something crashed from upstairs.

                Then, the moment she halted on her heels to think if she had just heard the upstairs’ window crash, a heavy thing fell on her golden head. And when she took it, she was confused to see a dark-green, hardbound, old-looking book lying shakily on her pale hands. Phyjie turned it to the first page. Then, a stunning red light colored her vision as an elaborated wand soared up to her eye level. She was not confused. She was not amazed. She just smiled as she closed her fingers around the wand.

                Then she said, “I know this will happen. It just did.”

                That was when the Chantris car parked on their front lawn, and she saw two girls sitting on the backseat. And for no exact reason at all, she knew she would have a great time with them.

                A loud burp interrupted her thoughts.

                Mellie hastily covered her mouth, flashed a peace sign and said, “Sorry!”

                Xaimy chuckled. “I bet the lasagna’s really good.”

                “I hope it was,” Mellie mumbled, because the lasagna she had only heated in the oven did not really taste good. It was worse than her nightmare.