Chapter 3

I've never had alcohol before. I never saw the allure of it. Well, I had a sip of firewhiskey once. It was vile. When Josie said we were going clubbing, I thought she meant we were going dancing. While the idea of that didn't particularly appeal to me, I thought, fine. We'll go out for a couple of hours, I'll dance awkwardly, then make some excuse as to why I've got to go home and I'll be in bed by nine, no problems. This isn't what happened at all.

Firstly, Josie and I went to dinner, because clubs don't 'go off' until at least ten thirty. So we had dinner and a couple of glasses of wine. I do not like wine. Then at about nine we went to a bar and met up with a group of her friends, who were all very friendly. Here we had some cocktails and a couple of rounds of shots. My head was starting to feel quite light and I seemed to be getting on with everyone really well. At about eleven we went to the club, where Josie had booked a table off the side of the dance floor. I thought my feet would be hurting from my heels, which were nearly impossible to walk in at the start of the night, but to my surprise they were easy to walk in and quite comfortable.

That's where we are right now. Sitting in a circle with our latest round of drinks.

"Let's dance!" Sarah, I think, yells, picking her drink up and leaping to her feet. I follow suit, eager to get back on the dance floor. She grabs my spare hand and we trot into the fray. I quickly drink half my drink, vodka and lemonade, a new favourite of mine, to stop it from spilling. Sarah is dancing with her arms above her head, her drink slopping down one of her arms. I copy her, mirroring her movements. The lights are flashing rainbows across the crowd. My dress is glittering in the light. I stare at it for a few moments, mesmerised. Then the song changes and the crowd screams as one and starts jumping, one arm in the air. I join in, giggling.

After a few more songs Sarah and I stumble back over to the group and collapse, laughing. I put my glass on the table and Miki pushes a full one into my hand. I down it in a few gulps and lick my lips.

"So, Fairlight, do you have a boyfriend?" Miki yells over the music.

"I don't know," I shout back, "I think he was cheating on me!"

The girls let out cries of disgust and horror.

"You should dump his ass," Sarah yells decidedly, "you are fabulous and gorge, and you deserve better!"

"She is so right," Josie says, "I'm going to get us more drinks!"

She reappears a few moments later with a small group of boys. Two of them place trays of drinks on the table and another one puts down two pitchers.

"Thank you!" Josie yells. One of them winks at her and hands her a slip of paper before they disappear into the throng on the dance floor. Josie hands the drinks around and we cheers.

Time passes quickly and soon enough Miki yells that she has to catch the last train home. We finish our drinks and walk outside. The air is cool and feels amazing after the stuffy club. Sarah and I are leaning on each other, giggling. We follow Josie and Miki down the street, laughing at their awful singing.

"You know what, Fair?" Sarah says, "you should call that boyfriend of yours and tell him you're done."

"He doesn't have a phone," I giggle.

"Then you should go and see him," she says, "dump his worthless butt. We'll all go!"

"Yeah!" Miki and Josie chorus. I giggle again.

"No, I can do it," I say, "where are we?"

I look at a sign post, but the letters swim before my eyes. I stare at it for a few more seconds, but it doesn't become any clearer. I look around. We're standing literally in front of the Leaky Cauldron.