Chapter 26

All was quiet. Too quiet. Nate's family hadn't made a peep since the Highland Games. Which was very unusual for them. They were the type of family that liked to cause problems as often as they can. It was past time for them to make a move.

"Kerr has been awfully quiet lately," Baird commented the one night as everyone sat in the Great Hall talking.

"Aye," Arlan said in disgust. "I'm not surprised that he has kept quiet. He's coming up with a plan."

Tormod nodded. "My brother always grew quiet when he was scheming."

"Is there anything that we can do?"

Arlan shook his head. "Nay Etain. All we can do is wait. Kerr will soon grow impatient with waiting."

Nate sat next to Zihana rubbing her neck. Zihana had her eyes closed as she let Nate work the stiffness from her shoulders. They had spent the previous day riding across MacAuay land. Nate was sore too, but he refused to let Zihana know that.

"Should we let the Constable know?" Zihana had opened her eyes and was peering at Arlan.

"Clan business is usually kept within the clans," Baird told his daughter gently. "The Constable only gets involved if stuff gets out of hand."

Zihana shrugged off Nate's hand so that she could sit up straight. "Aye, but shouldn't he be clued in anyways? I've heard rumors that Kerr has someone he is paying on the police force."

Bryant Campbell shifted in his chair making it creak. "Aye lass. I've heard that rumor too. I have a cousin on the force who I have kept abreast of our plans. He has been sniffing out Kerr's man for the past few years. The Constable is a good man. He's one o' those men who's very strict on his code of honor. The only side he's on is the law's side."

Zihana nodded as she relaxed back and let Nate resume his massaging. Nate smiled as he went back to massaging Zihana's neck. He agreed with Zihana. In fact he'd spoken last night with his Grandfather on the exact same thing.

"So we just wait until Kerr strikes?" Worry was clear in Aislinn's voice as she laid worried eyes on Nate.

"Aye woman," Bryant said as he tugged gently on one of Etain's braids. "That's all we can do for now. I'll send some of the Campbell boys over to keep an eye on things."

"Ye might as well send some of the women too," Tierney said. "They are just as dangerous as the men."

Bryant laughed. "Aye lad that they are. It wouldn't hurt to send over a lass or two. I have a few in mind who have been chomping at the bit for an adventure." Bryant let out a chuckle. "They are a handful and will make life interesting."

Birkita looked wistfully at Arlan. "It'll be good to have young people about the keep again. It has been so long since we've had the joy of youth here. The walls will ring with laughter again."

Tormod snorted. "If I remember correctly ye always got onto Kerr and I for being to loud."

Birkita laid a motherly hand on Tormod's cheek. "Ye were a rambunctious child and Kerr was a conniving child. The two of ye were a bit hard to handle at times. Not to mention yer other brothers."

Etain laughed while Aislinn giggled. "Just be glad that ye didn't have any daughters," Etain commented. "They are more worrisome than boys."

Birkita sighed wistfully as she looked at Arlan with longing. "Aye, but we always wanted a daughter."

"Ye'll have me as a granddaughter," Zihana said.

"And we'll gladly take ye," Birkita said as she got up to give Zihana a hug.

Flynn reached over and punched Nate on the shoulder. Nate punched him back. Zihana's siblings genty ribbed Nate about getting together with their sister. Laughed flowed out of the Great Hall and echoed throughout the keep. Servants smiled and joked amongst each others. The keep was overflowing with happiness and love. The day was joyful and nothing could burst the little bubble of happiness that encircled them. At least not that day.