Chapter 9

Hey guys!! :D Here's the next chapter! I was quite sad whilst writing this and I know a few of you are going to hate me for writing this :( but don't worry, it all gets straightened out in the end :) love ya! :D

~bethy <3

-------------------------------------------------------

Jared stared wide-eyed at me as we both caught our breaths. I couldn’t look him in the eye. How could I have kissed him while I was still seeing Jason? How cruel am i? I completely led him on which was so selfish of me! Plus he’s a Vampire! Is it even allowed for a Vampire and a Protector to fall in love?

Fall in love?!

What the hell am I thinking?! How stupid am I?! We’re enemies! Just because he told me his life story doesn’t change that! What the hell am I going to tell Jason?!

            “Would you stop thinking about him for one moment Jovie?” Jared hissed at me.

            “If it bothers you that much, don’t listen to my private thoughts.” I grumbled.

Damn! I really shouldn’t have kissed him!

Before I could blink I was shoved up against a tree by Jared who pinned my shoulders to the rough bark and looked into my eyes with a murderous expression. I yelped as a complaint and he loosened his grip slightly.

            Why? He hissed to me in thought.

            Why what Jared? I asked confused.

            “Damn it Jovie! Why shouldn’t you have kissed me?!” He roared.

            “Because I am Jason’s girlfriend! I am also his best friend and I can’t betray him like this!” I cried.

He slammed his fist into another tree trunk and yelled in frustration.

            “You are so naïve and blind! He doesn’t love you because he is not destined to be with you! Sure he loves you as a friend but he will never love you as much as he loves the girl he is destined to be with! You know who it is as well Jovie, you just don’t want it to be true!” Jared yelled at me.

            “I don’t know what you’re talking about!” I said.

            “Yes you do Jovie! Admit it to yourself! Say her name!”

Jared’s face was so close to mine again. I breathed in his scent and wanted to melt to the floor right there. Jared was wrong; the only person I was allowed to know their destiny was Lucy’s.

Oh. It’s Lucy.

How could I have been so blind? It was so obvious Right in front of me! All the secret looks between them that I simply turned a blind eye to. All the times Jason got annoyed because she ignored us were only because she had ignored him and he loved her. How could I have missed this?

I didn’t want to lose my best friend, that’s why.

            “Lucy.” I sighed in defeat.

I felt Jared move away from me sighing. I sat down on the floor; unable to stand anymore. Jason had been my best friend since we were ten-years-old when we first met running away from Vampires. That was the first day I met Jared as well. How didn’t I know straight away?

            Because you didn’t want to lose your best friend. Jared answered me in my mind.

I nodded and tears started to fall again. I felt Jared it down next to me. His hand reached up and stroked my back. He pulled me back against him and I curled up against his chest as I sobbed.