Invitation -Part One

-flashback nygmob fluff-

Oswald

I walk -or rather, limp- into the GCPD, hoping to find Jim. I always keep my end of a deal.

"Where can I find Detective Gordon?" I call out.

"In the restroom." I spin around to find the forensic geek standing next to me, with a rather charming smile.

"Hello, Edward," I say politely.

"Hello, Mr. Penguin."

"I told you the last time we met... you can call me by my name."

"Okay, then. Hi, Mr. Cobblepot."

"No, that's not what I... Jim! Finally."

Jim walks towards me with a bored look on his face. "You got the files, Penguin?"

I nod and hand them over to him, still paying attention to Edward from the corner of my eye.

"Great," Jim continues. "You can leave now."

I'm somewhat relieved, but I almost want to stay... To talk to Nygma. He's an attractive man, with his prominent cheekbones and dark brown eyes. But it never occured to me that our conversations would ever be more than what they are now- a simple hello and an occasional riddle.

As Jim walks away, I turn back to Edward, who is still looking at me.

"I guess this is goodbye for now, Ed."

"It doesn't have to be," he responds.

I slap him with a confused stare, wondering what he means.

"My shift is almost over," Edward continues. "I... I guess I'm inviting you to dinner. At my house. If you want to."

His cheeks are a deep red- it looks good on him. I chuckle and feel my face grow warm.

"Sure," I say calmly. "I could... Get a bottle of wine while you finish your shift."

Edward nods, smiles, and hands me a green piece of paper with an address on it.

"That's where I live. Stop by in an hour," he says- almost a little too excitedly.

~

Edward

I can't believe I did it. I've been wanting to ask him to dinner for a while now. There's just... something about him that makes me feel so warm inside.

I prepare the small table, placing a bowl of home-made spaghetti in the center. After I'm done, I quickly run to my closet to dress into something more formal. I slick my chestnut hair back and try a smile in the bathroom mirror.

Suddenly my reflection blurs and reveals the "darker" version of me, grinning and without glasses.

"Oh, no," he hisses with a laugh. "Cobblepot wouldn't like that. He's a criminal overlord, let me take over."

My hands are starting to shake as I look down at them. "Be quiet," I say. "Let me control my own thoughts and actions. Oswald already agreed to dinner arrangements, that means something."

My reflection laughs and shakes his head. "Idiot," he whispers, then vanishes.

I feel as if I'm about to break out into a cold sweat, but my thoughts are interrupted by three quick knocks at the door. I grab a washcloth to wipe my forehead, and head out of the bathroom.

I take a deep, shaking breath as I open the door to a flushed Penguin.

~