20 | Rescue

*MC presses fast-forward, but pauses it first* 

Don't forget to read the bonus chapters, cupcakes! They're actually super important in the grand scheme of things, especially the last two, as they have information in them you'd never get in Vixen's PoV (because of the way she thinks about things)~ Also, as promised, an example of what Chase's eyes look like when they change is above. Enjoy~ 

*presses play*

— 20 —

Ronnie doesn't say anything to me in the car. Instead, he spends his time berating me to his friends, laughing about "kiddy emotions" and "self-righteous bullshit," but I don't pay too much attention to it, watching the trees as they pass.

I'm not nearly as surprised when we pull onto Broadway Avenue as I should be. I play with the idea of struggling when we pass Bubba's—if I could get the car door open, I know I'm fast enough to make it into Bubba's before Ronnie or his goons realize what happened—but it's only a fleeting thought: if there are people in there that can't defend themselves, they'll just get in the middle, especially since Ronnie's already made it abundantly clear that he's not above hurting others to get to me.

I sigh quietly, leaning my head against the window. Cassadee has probably already left town—too scared to even call the cops—so it'll take Nikki and them a little longer to figure out what happened. Unless the next thing Canty was talking about was some sort of ransom note to Leon or something, then maybe a little less time, depending on who's locker they put it in (Leon, Whit, and Trent almost never go to their lockers, and Calvin tries to keep going to his locker to a minimum, twice-per-day event). No one will help them since it's me, so they'll try to plan out their moves accordingly, keeping others from getting hurt... I'd say I have at least a day with these guys.

A wild thought pops into my mind before I can stop it.

Chase could be here within ten minutes.

Dammit! Stop thinking about him! This isn't any of his business! Besides, how's he going to know anything's wrong!? He's too busy ignoring me, too busy...

I shake my head, stopping that thought and the tears forming with it in its track.

This is stupid. Whatever's happening to me is starting to really get on my nerves.

Thankfully, the beat up car we're in pulls into a construction zone, parking just behind a giant, orange Caution: Area Under Construction sign, and gives me something to stare at instead of thinking.

It's the old club they're redoing, the one a few blocks down from Bubba's. We never went to this one because it was huge and known for massive amounts of Cocaine and Heroine, but it was a hot spot before termite damage was found. They ended up having to tear the whole thing down to rebuild it. Everyone was really irritated because of it.