16 | Aftermath

— 16 —

— 16 —

I stare at Chase, lost for what to do. His eyes are too intense, too warm silver, and my mouth has gone dry. Thankfully, I don't have to think too long because, before my thoughts have a chance to catch up, he's pulling away, staring down the dark street.

"Darestin told him where you were," he murmurs, both entertained and irritated.

"What are you—"

"What's going on here?" Calvin interrupts casually.

I turn to him, watching as he makes his way to us.

"I was just telling Ms. Tyler her friends would start worrying about her if she didn't start heading back," Chase answers just as easily, though there's no way he was planning on letting me go back to the club, especially not after giving me a lecture like that.

"Uh-huh," but, for once, it doesn't seem like Calvin believes him. Instead, as he takes a stand next to me, he eyes Chase like he's a threat, body tense even as he shoves his hands in his pockets. "If you keep appearing everywhere, Whitler's going to cement her theory, you know."

All seriousness from earlier is gone. Chase actually looks amused that Calvin's challenging him, lazily crossing his arms as he tilts his head a little too innocently. "Oh?"

"Yeah," Calvin says easily enough. "Not that it's not appreciated that you're everywhere when she needs help, just that it's a little...convenient, is all."

"Cut it out, Calvin," I reprimand. "It's not like he's following me." He just smelled my blood and came to make sure I wasn't killed. That's all. Totally normal.

He shrugs. "I'm not saying he is," Calvin returns. "I'm just pointing out what Whitler's going to say."

I roll my eyes. "Doesn't matter what Whit says because I'm the one who went looking for him."

Both of their eyes widen, surprised, but Chase is quick to recover. Calvin, on the other hand, looks staggered. He doesn't even blink, arms falling to his side lifelessly.

"I didn't know if the guy I was dancing with was a part of Preston's gang or not, so I couldn't go to Leon's truck," I explain. "There were rumors that Chase lived around here, so I thought if I found him, he could help me until it was safe again."

Calvin finally blinks, looking over at Chase. "Do you live around here?"

"In an apartment a few streets further down," he answers.

"Even then, Cupcake, what were you thinking?" Calvin says, turning to me.

"I know it was a risk, but what else was I supposed to do?" I demand. "I couldn't leave Darestin until I was sure it was safe. You know Preston would torture him if he thought Darestin knew anything. There's no way I could let that happen."