Chapter 18

I skipped ahead of the busy streets while the others lagged behind. The sun was shining brightly and beating down, a change for the cold spring months that had overcome Paris. I could already tell this rally was going to be good.

I heard the four boys behind us, mutter under their breath and I hung back to see what they were talking about. They must have sensed it as they quickly shut up. I smirked to myself, having a vague idea of what they were talking about. We were about 10 minutes from the cafe and I was waiting to talk to Madame H after yesterday. What was strange is that now I was walking about freely. I had nothing to worry about. I didn't have to sneak around and watch my back. I deserved to be out as much as everyone else. Didn't I?

I moved in between R and Enjolras. His scent took over my body and I felt my stomach flutter at his close proximity to me. Despite what Ferre had said this morning, I don't know if I believed him. Enjolras was practically a God. He could have any girl he ever wanted, even Ponine. But he was too devoted to his cause, he would never want a girlfriend. A relationship would get in the way of what he really wanted, freedom.

"Are you cold?" He asked me and I shook my head, looking into his sea blue orbs. Not listening to me, as per usual, he pulled off his red jacket and wrapped it around my small body.

"You never listen do you?" I said and he shook his head smiling like an idiot.

I felt various girls eyes on me and the boys as we got closer to the Musain. They glared at me but batted their eyes at them all. Of course. I was surrounded by insanely handsome men. Well, unfortunately for them, 2 were gay, another was in a relationship with alcohol and one was going to be mine.

One particular girl glared so much that everyone noticed. They could sense my frustration and R subtly walked in front of me and Ferre and Courf stood behind me. The Musain stood right in front of us. Enjolras held on to my arm as we walked past.

"Don't you dare" he said, trying to look serious but laughter creeping around the edges.

I smiled brightly at the girl and waved. And then I don't know what happened but I reached up to Enjolras cheek and pressed a kiss to it. He turned a bright red and the girl mouthed something at me and walked away in a huff. I heard Grantaire snigger and Courf nudged Ferre so hard that he nearly fell over. I looked down at my shoes and walked ahead and through the door before anyone could say anything.

I ignored the regulars shouting and I ran straight up into our meeting room. The guys were ready to go and chatted excitedly about the day ahead. It was already going downhill for me.

"Jehan" I called over to the boy who was drawing flowers at the back of the leaflets we were going to hand out. He looked over and got up, sitting next to me on the windowsill.

"What's up Lissy?"

"I need your advice on... relationships" I mumbled and he raised his eyebrows, intrigued.

"Does this have something to do with Monsieur Enjolras?" He hinted and I groaned, hating to admit that a boy could get to me so easily.

"Yes" I said slowly and at that moment, the boy entered the room with the others close behind him. Jehan quickly stood up and took his usual seat as everyone began to silence.

Gavroche came and sat next to me. I ruffled the small boys hair and he leaned into me as Enjolras began to speak, not giving me eye contact.

"As you know mon amis we have been waiting for this day for a while. I hope you are all prepared. As usual, there are risks involved and it's possibly dangerous. Like I say, look after our Gavroche and now look after Lissy too. We don't want any accidents today" he said quickly.

"Ay Monsieur where's you red jacket?" Bahorel shouted and I died inside as everyone's eyes shifted to me. They were all smirking and Enjolras looked uncomfortable.

"Let's just go" he said quickly and I grabbed Gavroche's hand as everyone began to walk out.

"I'll look out for you and you look out for me" I whispered in the little boys ear

"I don't need no looking after! I have to look after you though cos your a girl" he told me and I nodded along.

"Of course, but for the record, girls are-" I began but he had already gone off to Courf who was gesturing for him. Enjolras had his back to me, grabbing a few more flyers and Courf grinned before shutting the door on just us too. I made a mental note to punch him later.

Enjolras turns round at the sudden noise and saw me. His features softened and he walked over. My heart quickened and he took my hands.

"You okay?" He asked and I gulped. The dangers of today were only just dawning on me, we were telling the world of our cause, there was no backing out after this. Truthfully, I was terrified but I tried hard to look as calm as possible. Enjolras must have seen through it as he edged ever so slightly closer.

"Don't worry, I'm quite nervous too" he admitted and I frowned.

"You're scared?"

"No! I'm not scared, just nervous" he said quickly and I giggled at the way he tried to act manly.

"Stick with me today, I know how stubborn you are, I don't want the others to lose you" he said, taking my little hand against his large one and pulled open the door, only it wouldn't open. I heard Courf and Grantaire snicker like school children at the other side of the door and he rolled his eyes before pushed so fiercely that the door swung open and the two boys fell over.

"I told them not to!" Gavroche yelled from the bottom of the stairs. Enjolras stepped over the both of them and walked down the stairs and picking up Gavroche.

"You can walk with me and Lissy" he said to him and the boy nodded, calling for me. I too, stepped over the boys and jumped down the stairs, trying hard not to laugh. I heard the two of them jump up and run quickly behind us however they were too slow and Enjolras slammed the door in their faces.

"Let's go"