Thirteenth Thread

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
William Shakespeare, As You Like It

Ren was quite nervous, to be honest, when she politely trotted towards the Academy next day, but it was hard to blame her. The only test she knew was that of Team Seven, and it was, really, very Kakashi-specific. About other teams of rookie nine – there was absolutely no data, neither on Team Guy (were they even the only ones to pass their exams or not?). And Shibi? How on earth was she supposed to know what was running on and about Shibi's head? He was head of THE secretive clan of emotionally repressed people, goddamnit!

(Also, she, once again, forgot to cut her hair. It was now in a tight braid, hanging between her shoulder-blades, but she really should do something with it, soon, unless she wanted to get it used against her, which she really did not. She really should keep in mind to cut her hair before ending up like Sakura during chūnin exams. Besides, long hair were difficult to properly keep.)

She made it to the gates of Academy shortly before eight, with Hana and Hibiki already waiting. The Hyūga was, apparently, throwing a hissy fit, and Hana was very much not amused, giving him the best of 'the villain speech, seriously' faces. Shibi was also there, hidden away on the treetop and not particularly bothering to hide his charka signature. This, however, most likely slipped right past Hana and Hibiki. With Ren, who was used to be around ANBU and still be more-less oriented of their whereabouts, he could've, just as well, been screaming where he was. Not that he would – screaming Aburame would, most likely, fracture the pattern of the universe and it would go to hell altogether.

"I see you're all here on time," Shibi says, jumping down the second it ticks eight.

"We're ready for our first mission!" Hibiki promptly announces, and Hana rolls her eyes, while Ren just snorts. He glowers at her.

"To go on mission, we have to be ninja," the Uchiha clarifies, and the Hyūga boy crosses his hands on his chest.

"We are ninja, we graduated the Academy-"

"Sixty or more percent of students returns to academy today, you know," Hana says wistfully. "Because they'll fail the actual test."

Hibiki's eyes go wide, as he gawks at her, then at Ren, and then, finally, at Shibi. The man just shrugs.

"They are right," he agrees finally. "Today I will test whether you're worthy or not to become full-fledged genin. If you are, missions will start tomorrow."

"WHAT?!" Hibiki shrieks, wide-eyed and all, and both his teammates roll their eyes in exasperation. Life seems so bright and colorful, indeed.

"Sensei, can we still have him switched for... Well, anything else?" Hana asks unhappily, glaring at the pale-eyed boy, who growls in return.

"No," Shibi answers flatly. "Follow me."

And, just like that, he jumps up and onto the roof and, presented with no other options, genin-(hopefully)-to-be just follow. Shortly, they reached a forested area by the edge of the village. Definietely not a typical training ground – the open area was not nearly big enough. But then, ninja were reluctant to fight I the open to begin with – especially Leaf ninja, much preferring to play monkeys on the trees.

"Today's task is very simple in theoretical way," Shibi says as they stop, and turns towards his genin team (hopefully) to be. Suddenly, there were four puffs of smoke around him, and instead of one, there were four of Shibi. Ren cursed under her breath – she should learn the Shadow Clone as soon as possible, otherwise the life would suck. "I go into the forest, and you have to track me, while clones interrupt you. Don't worry, they will do it only one at a time," he explains, and all three nod in agreement. One of Hana's ninken yips in confusion.