Chapter 2 ~ When Spoken Tongues Speak

Everyone stared in disbelief as (Y/n) fiddled with her fingers nervously. Steven was the first to speak up. "You...you can talk to...Rose?" he asked carefully. "Like...in your mind?"

"Yes." (Y/n) replied, shifting her gaze uncomfortably towards her feet, toes digging in the sand.

"Let's talk about this inside the temple." Connie suggested, earning agreed, silent, nods from the rest of the group. The only people who seemed unfazed by the news seemed to have been Lapis and Peridot but that perhaps was because they never met the famous gem and had rarely heard of Steven talking about her.

Peridot walked beside (Y/n) as they slowly made their journey towards the temple. "So...you can communicate with Rose Quartz." Peridot concluded. (Y/n) twisted her head from side to side to catch a glimpse at Lapis and Peridot's reactions, unfazed and unchanged, they seemed normal.

"Yes..." (Y/n) agreed, "Rose wanted me to tell you now."

"I wonder why not before?" Lapis mumbled in thought.

"I don't know. But she felt now was the right time..."

"Did she say why?" Peridot asked. (Y/n) shrugged.

"She has a favour to ask. She told me that she is in need of something from them." The explanation was brief and puzzling, no clues piecing together what it all meant.

"Well isn't the simple solution to ask her? You can speak with her in your mind correct? Just ask her." Lapis pointed out, stepping aside to allow the two to walk inside the house first. They were the last of the group to enter, Lapis lazily bumping the door shut with her hip.

"It feels wrong to ask." (Y/n) pointed out, "I'm sure she has her reasons. But she shouldn't have to tell."

"Um, but (Y/n)...they literally didn't know this for 34 years or something and I think they deserve some sort of answer." Peridot argued. But before (Y/n) could reply, she was seated down on the couch and faced towards everyone.

"(Y/n)." Garnet began almost instantly, "Why haven't you told us this information before?" (Y/n) couldn't tell if the fusion was mad or secretly excited but either way, the question felt pressuring.

"I...she asked me not to tell...until today." The answer was short but effective in causing Pearl's mouth to over flow with questions.

"But why?" She began, "After all these year...does she not want to speak with us?" Her eyes widened as she grasped Amethyst tightly, "Did we do something wrong?!"

"Woah, calm down P, I'm sure Rose had a reason... even though it does hurt that she didn't try communicating through Steven..."

"Yeah." Steven agreed in thought, Peridot eyed Garnet curiously as the gem came to her final conclusion.

"Rose didn't always tell us what's going on in her mind. We have to respect that."

"But Garnet!" Pearl insisted, "34 years may seem relatively small and insignificant to us but that's also Steven's entire life span up until now!"

"I hate to be interfering but Pearl's right! This involves all of you... and you deserve some recognition." Lapis spoke up, her voice flat and uninterested, obviously not really caring if she had just interrupted something important.

"I think the answer is obvious." Peridot emphasised the "I" part, causing Connie to frown.

"You do?" She questioned curiously.

"Yeah...Why would Rose Quartz communicate through Steven only for you guys to ruin it – I don't meant to insult you but one can assume that when it comes to new things, gems try to go back and fix it so that things were like they used to be." Peridot summarized.