16. Almost

Stella quickly settled into a seat three rows away from the table the director Chance was sitting at. The darkness wrapped around the seats of rows like an envelope. The spotlight slung at the front as a pair of two actors tried out. Their scene reeled with them bickering back and forth. If Xavier wasn't there, the guy acting could've gotten a huge chance of winning the role. She didn't recall ever seeing him before. She stared at Xavier as he walked to Chance, who was pushing his grey hair back with his fingers.

"Ah, Xavier," Chance said in his strong Russian accent. Xavier shot him a smile as he stood in front of Chance, the scene still reeling in the background. "I see you're interested in taking the lead role of the movie," Chance watched as both Xavier and Anthony nodded.

"We'll see. Hardly any of these kids have earned the right for the role."

Chance stood up, swinging his two fingers in the air, indicating for Xavier to follow. Stella quickly recorded with her camera Xavier's every movement with curiosity. Just as she was about to flash a photo, her finger froze over the button. She bit her tongue as a figure moved closer to Xavier.

Her eyes narrowed down on the way a smile etched on the stranger's flawless skin. Stella's eye ran down the length of the mystery girls' tangle-free, straight blonde hair. It kind of reminded Stella of her own hair, yet the girl had hers in better condition. She spelled out perfection.

Stella could tell a conversation was going on between Xavier and the girl, as they shook hands, their lips moving with smiles permanently glued on. She gulped down her envy as she snapped a picture of the exchange. A spark of jealousy was flickering through her heart, even if she wouldn't admit it. Her eyes shut as she took in deep breaths. She had to erase those thoughts, and fast. Still, she could see their hands in each other's. Why did it sting?

* * *

"It's very nice to meet you, Xavier," the blonde explained as she smiled sweetly. A row of pure white teeth blazed back at him. Yet, as beautifully untainted her smile was, it would never beat Stella's divine smile.

He took a quick glance behind him to catch Stella. Before he could turn any further, the director spoke, "This is Katrina Pond."

A flirtatious grin ate at her lips as she chewed on her bottom lip, "But call me Kat."

Xavier nodded with a smile in return as he eyed her long fake nails. "Unique name," Xavier replied as he parted their hands.

"Okay, so this is going to be the main female character. See this beauty?" Chance asked as he yanked up Kat's arm, giving her a twirl. She confidently grinned as she gave the spin some body language. Xavier carefully followed her fit body as she ended the whirl with a kick.

He could feel her eyes awaiting for his response. He raised a brow, trying to seem interested. This was more his thing. Kat was someone his fans would accept and even support. She was apart of his world and knew what it was like.

Stella was too far of a reach. What did this mean?

"If you win the role, this," Chance pointed out to Kat, who had a grin playing on her lips, "will be your prize."

A hint of pain seemed to rip at Stella's heart as she watched the seductive spin the girl gave. She was filming the whole thing but she could feel her hands shaking. The couple trying out together finished with a bow as they stepped down.

Chance switched his eyes to the stage before shoving Xavier and Kat forward, leaving them both partially on the stage. He reached down to his desk and then threw two stabled files to the both of them. Xavier flipped through the pages, scanning them before skipping to the next. He walked to the middle of the stage, Kat following behind like a dog on a leash.