Chapter 1

The deafening gunshot sounded. For a moment everything just seemed like it was in slow motion as I tried to figure out what happened. It all happened so quickly, so unexpected.

Dad’s body collapsed onto the wet concrete. I screamed out to him, but it felt like my screams were unheard. The rain patted down hard on me, making me shiver a little from the cold. Holding onto my gun, I ran to Dad, almost slipping. I kneeled down beside him where he had his hands over his chest where blood was gushing out.

His eyes closed instantly as soon as I reached him. I realised where the bullet had got him. It had pierced through his heart.

I heard the killer laughed. I glanced at him. I couldn’t see his face behind the mask he was wearing. It was probably a good thing because most likely I would just tear his face apart. Truthfully I wanted to pierce a bullet through that head of his to stop him from laughing. I would be the one laughing then.

“You son of a bitch.” I stood up, pointing my gun at him. “Who the hell do you think you are?”

He continued to laugh and then turned on his heel. I ran after him, leaving my father on the ground. I ran as fast as I could to chase the killer. I kept saying in the back of my mind that I was going to get him. He killed my father and now he was going to pay.

The killer led me to a wire fence and jumped it. I followed him, jumping it also and then followed him down the deserted street. He disappeared into an alley. I followed him, but lost him in the dark shadows. Holding my gun close to me, I walked down the alley. He was here somewhere. I know he was.

My heart beat fast as I walked down, wondering where he could be hiding. He could jump out any second. I heard the sound of a footstep and it made me jump a little. I calm down when I realise that it was my own footsteps.

“Come out, you coward,” I called out to the killer.

I was suddenly grabbed from behind and thrown up against the wall. He pointed his gun in the back of my neck. I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for him to pull the trigger, but he didn’t. Instead he just laughed.

His laugh made anger build up inside me. I couldn’t let him kill me, nor could I let him get away with murder.

I grabbed his arm and then twisted it. He yelped in pain and let go of me. I swung my fist at him, striking him in his mouth. He went to strike me but I dodged out of the way. I pointed my gun at him, putting my finger on the trigger, ready to shoot him.

“Any last words before I pull the trigger?” I asked the killer.

He just laughed at me and then kicked the weapon out of my hand. He grabbed my arm and twisted it. Before I had the chance to defend myself, I was knocked unconscious.

*       *           *        *        *

I lay there for a moment just remembering the incident that only happened a month ago. I constantly play the scene over in my head. I still wonder who the killer was that claimed the life of my father, Agent Christopher Reese. He was known as one of the best special agents in the whole of California, only to be killed in the line of duty.

I’m an agent myself, following in the footsteps of my father. I have been one since the age of sixteen. You aren’t really supposed to join the force until you’re twenty one, but United Intelligence Agency allows you to enter at sixteen. You sign up at fifteen and have to do a lot of intense training so you’re ready to join the force once you turn sixteen. I’m nineteen now, twenty in a couple of months, and I love my job. I love going out of my way to protect people from criminals.