chapter 7

He opened the door indicating for her to follow him. There beside the window stood a short, yet stately man with a gaunt nose and firm lips, dark brown hair shot with white. What strongly differentiated him were his wrinkled eyes- soft and gentle. At the present moment they were open wide with hopeful expectation.

Emily smiled warmly at the ageing man and before she could stop herself she ran forward and hugged him.

'Why, you are my new papa!' she exclaimed, joyfully.

The old man was a momentarily surprised but quickly recovered himself enough to hug her back. Frederick observed this interchange absolutely stunned. Finally, they let go.

'So, you are- or were- the Miss Worthing,' he noted, in his deep voice. 'Quite different from what I expected. I knew your father, you know. And your mother- you look nothing like her. Mind you, she was quite a beauty herself. You seem to have taken the opposite direction. I see you have your father's dark hair and eyes. I could almost see him in you- My dear, what could I have said to make you cry!'

Emily, whose eyes were beginning to water, shook her head saying, 'It is nothing, sir. Only, I am in such an agitation of spirits and it is so nice to see such a homely face. I am glad I shall have you here.'

Lord Warburton took hold of her shoulders and shook his head.

'My dear,' he said, 'if you only knew how my heart sang when I heard of Fred's engagement. I had given up hope entirely. It was quite a shock to me. Boy,' he went on, turning to Frederick,'you have chosen better than I dared to hope. You must understand Emily, I had expected a slip of a woman with a large fortune Fred had only succumbed to in his desire for money. One glance at you and I saw one headstrong child that my son may very well have fallen head-over-heels in love with. I have myself, you know.'

They both laughed.

Frederick's face had gone red. Emily thought he was going to explode any moment, but he simply turned away and poured out some wine in a glass that was lying on the table.

'Now children,' Lord Warburton continued, 'I have been busy. You are to have the East Wing. I have had your room prepared- a new bed and furniture. Fred, your room is still the same, only, I took the liberty of changing your covers. I have also extended the blue room. I am planning on making that the nursery. I may be planning too far ahead, but who knows how long I have. And I would like some part in doing something for those grandchildren I had practically given up hope of ever having. No need to look so embarassed- it is only a trifle. I have had spare rooms prepared in the servant quarters for your own servants. I believe you would prefer to have your own maid, though I have employed two more women to assist you.'   

'Sir, I-'

'Call me papa, like you did before.'

'P-papa, this is really too much. I wish you had not done so much.'

'Nonsense, I am your father, aren't I. It is my duty- that is all.'

Emily burst into tears. Lord Warburton smiled as he patted her shoulder. Sighing in annoyance, Frederick rang the bell. Mrs. Burton came to the door.

'My wife is in need of a little rest. Please escort her to her room.'

'Yes, sir,' she said, holding her arms out for Emily and leading the sobbing girl out.

'My, Fred, she's charming she is,' Lord Warburton asserted, once the door shut behind them. 'What's more, she's excessively soft- hearted. I am impressed. I thought the girl would be like her mother- a quiet little thing, too afraid to speak. But, it's no such thing. She's her father's daughter, she is. I'm quite taken with her. I didn't think you would make me so proud. Now, you take care of her. Don't let yourself fall into your silly rages. For one thing, I have a feeling she wouldn't take it. Another, she seems to have few sincere attachments. Grew up without her parents, she did. Only has her brothers, of whom I have only heard of her attachment to the eldest. Did you see how tearful she got? By God, I like her. You look after her, Fred, as you have undertaken to do by marrying her.'

Frederick sat calmly on the sofa drinking his wine. he glanced at his father occasionally. Finally, he said, 'Sir, you should not have added a nursery so early.'

'My boy, I know I had to-'

'It is only- we should like some time before we consider- er- enlarging the family.'

'Oh, pooh! That is what Marrianne and I said at first ourselves. But, you'll see how you tire without any children. By the next month you shall be craving a little baby to tuck under your arms- just you wait and see.'

'Also, I shall be buying a house of my own.'

'Why, of course, my boy. I have already taken the liberty of looking into some of the houses for you.'

Frederick stood up and bowed to the old man.

'I am much obliged to you,' he mumbled, before taking his leave.

He made his way down the corridor and up the staircase heading towards the East Wing. Within minutes, he was standing before his wife's door. He knocked twice. Receiving no answer, he opened the door from outside saying, as he did so, 'You must excuse my-'

He stopped. The room was empty. Looking around, his eyes quickly alighted to the window. With an oath, he ran towards it and looked out. There, making her way down a tree, which stood quite close to the window, was Emily. She had not yet seen him.

'What are you doing?' he shouted. Emily jerked her head up- she lost her grip. Frederick watched horrified as she fell to the ground. She lay there for a moment before suddenly springing up. Blood was dripping from her forehead. She looked up at Frederick before turning and running into the thicket of trees that surrounded the house. Swearing loudly, Frederick jumped onto the tree. Having climbed it several times throughout his childhood, he found himself on the ground in no time. At once, he rushed into the woods. He hadn't gone far before he found Emily, no longer running, but walking through the woods. She was swaying with her hand on her forehead. He quickly caught up with her and roughly jerked her towards the house. 

'Are you mad? What are you doing?'

'I can't do this! Please, take me back. I don't know what I was thinking. He is so nice!'

'Emily, think rationally. You can not just run off like that on your own. Anything could have happened to you. Only look at that blood!'

'I want my brother! take me to him. This was an awful idea. I must go home.'

'Look at yourself, Emily! No- Don't'

She was falling when Frederick quickly grabbed her. Lifting her up, he carried the unconscious lady into the house.

'Mrs. Burton! He shouted as he walked in. The said lady came running towards him and gasped at the sight of Emily.

'My wife has taken a fall from the tree. She was attempting to climb down it. Have the doctor sent for and do what you can to revive her. You needn't tell my father about this- it will only worry him. I'll take her to her room.'